Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Any Problems with adding an intercooler to a 185???

I'm planning on adding an intercooler and better flowing intake to my 185. Is there any adverse affects that might possibly happen like running to lean or anything along those lines without any other fuel or computer mods or will the computer compensate those 2 things OK.

I dont think so you might need to get some bigger injector or get the ecu flash

+1
    All good, check my thread in sig.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    I'm planning on adding an intercooler and better flowing intake to my 185. Is there any adverse affects that might possibly happen like running to lean or anything along those lines without any other fuel or computer mods or will the computer compensate those 2 things OK.
    I would advise upgrading to the stock 215 fuel pressure regulator at minimum, especially if you're adding an external intercooler.

+1
    I did this several years ago with my wife's 05 GTX 185 using 08 RXT-X IC, hoses, and bracket. I have OPAS blocked in UP position, so I used OPAS as the water source and drilled a small hole near the pump for the pisser. It is a tight fit and cramped working space.

Using stock ECU and injectors, no need for anything else because you are just cooling the air not increasing boost or rpm. You will see much improved throttle response and acceleration.

See signature below for more info.

+1
    Boost and RPM should go up and AFR should lean out from cooling the air

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I did this several years ago with my wife's 05 GTX 185 using 08 RXT-X IC, hoses, and bracket. I have OPAS blocked in UP position, so I used OPAS as the water source and drilled a small hole near the pump for the pisser. It is a tight fit and cramped working space.

Using stock ECU and injectors, no need for anything else because you are just cooling the air not increasing boost or rpm. You will see much improved throttle response and acceleration.

See signature below for more info.

+1
    How does boost and rpm rise when it is limited by the STOCK ECU and SC to only 7650 rpm from the beginning?

No question, if you reflash the ECU, change SC....AFR needs to monitored, bigger FP, Injectors, etc. etc....

This ski has years of use and almost 200 hours on it.......

+1
    Boost is not limited by the stock ECU and supercharger. Adding a cold air intake and external intercooler to a 185 ski should raise RPM and boost. That means if you were already near the limiter before the mods you would now be on the limiter, which is a very bad thing. In order to avoid being on the limiter you would need to pitch the prop or replace the prop. I wouldn't go as far as saying adding an air intake and intercooler requires AFR monitoring and new injectors. I think it would be safest to swap to a 58 psi stock 215 regulator though. But hey, some guys throw on an X charger to a 215 setup with stock injectors and it lasts a long time. I guess my point is it's better to be safe than sorry. If my motor lasts 10 more hours from swapping a $50 part from the classifieds section I would label that a victory.

+1
    Sure he can add a 58 psi FPR if desired for piece of mind, can't hurt anything.

Boost IS limited in this specific case due to not turning above the stock ECU rpm limit of 7650 rpm. It runs 7550-7600 rpm right off the show room floor. The increased speed some of us have, is from good impeller work and supporting mods.

This ski has NO IC as OEM and benefits on that 100 degree day with much improved throttle response and acceleration.

If the OP reflashes the ECU or changes the stock SC then, all bets are off and requires smart mod planning!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Boost IS limited in this specific case due to not turning above the stock ECU rpm limit of 7650 rpm. It runs 7550-7600 rpm right off the show room floor. The increased speed some of us have, is from good impeller work and supporting mods.
    Ski 1: Stock air intake, no intercooler, spinning 7500 RPM
    Ski 2: Aftermarket air intake, external intercooler, spinning 7500 RPM

Ski 2 will make more boost every time. The higher volume of cooler, denser air will increase boost pressure 10 times out of 10. The air intake makes a big difference. Is it enough to need more fuel to keep the motor at peak reliability? I'm not sure. My simple suggestion to the OP is if he is going to add HP he should look into adding a little bit of fuel.

After reading Brendan's results you're right, it might not be needed. I'm curious to see his AFR numbers next time out now that he has the intercooler installed.
    Last edited by JFizzleJR; 03-23-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information