1994 SL650 Computer

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place so my apologies if I'm not. i tried searching as well with no luck. I am looking for a 1994 SL650 ECU....all of the wires in mine are fried so I want to replace it all. I found one for a 92/93, so could I use that? If not, anyone have one for sale?! Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Are you talking about the entire electrical box, or just the CDI ignition module within the electrical box?

The cable running between the electrical box and the magneto stator (located at the front of the engine, inside the flywheel housing) - is that at all burned or damaged?

Is there a plastic cover over the battery?

Thanks for the reply. So the magneto wire was fried, so I took the box out and opened it up. Most of the terminals and connectors inside the box basically are corroded and there was water and gunk in them anyway, so I kind of wanted the whole box as a unit. Make sense? Any help would be awesome!

Banned User
    +1
    Its not difficult to get in there and clean it all up. You can replace the terminal board for about 20 bucks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bpalmer3 View Post
    ... So the magneto wire was fried...
    Most of the terminals and connectors inside the box basically are corroded and there was water and gunk in them anyway...
    Fried cable to the stator is often caused by the plastic cover for the battery being missing or out of position. The metal shell of the electrical box must never touch the positive battery post.

From the factory the terminal board is coated with a thin layer of clear dielectric grease. This protects the board and wire ends from corrosion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bpalmer3 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So the magneto wire was fried, so I took the box out and opened it up. Most of the terminals and connectors inside the box basically are corroded and there was water and gunk in them anyway, so I kind of wanted the whole box as a unit. Make sense? Any help would be awesome!
    Makes sense, and yes a 92/93 is compatible.

Keep in mind, most "complete" boxes you will find will not have the magneto with it, so you may have to source that separately. You can check the readings on the Magneto to see if it is still good, but if all the wires are fried, it likely is not.

May want to go the route of pickup up a 94 or newer 750 or 780 setup, as there are many more available and interchangeable parts, electrically speaking. In fact, if you do find a 94 or newer 750 or 780 magneto, I can put together a 750 electrical box complete for you...... PM me if interested.....

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I have a brand new elec. stator/magneto for a 650 available if interested. $110 shipped to the lower 48 states.

Thanks so much guys, sorry for my delay. So, BryanP- thats funny, my name is Bryan Palmer haha. Anyway- I appreciate the help! I am new to this so I dont know where to get parts for them being as old as they are. So a new board, where would I find that?

Thanks but I already got the stator for it awhile back. Just need to install it now.

Thread Information