92 Polaris sl650

I'm rebuilding my 650 and want to change crankcase oil. Looking for suggestions on what kind and how much to put back in. Any help is greatly appreciated!

There is no crankcase oil to be changed. If you have that much oil in your crankcase that's a problem. It's oil injected.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroker 1450 View Post
    There is no crankcase oil to be changed. If you have that much oil in your crankcase that's a problem. It's oil injected.
    Oil injection was blocked off. Not supposed to be any oil at all in the case to lubricate the crank?

Banned User
    +1
    There aren't supposed to be pools of oil sitting in it. Just a light coating on everything.

When I took all cylinders and pistons off, you can see what I would guess to be at least a quart of what I thought was old oil(I thought it was for lubrication). What could this be from? Could I clean it out, put all new gaskets on and be alright?

When you premix that's the only lube the crank needs and gets. Are you sure that's not fogging oil someone dumped in the cyl

Banned User
    +1
    Yes you should clean it out. If there is too much like it sounds there is, it could hydrolock your motor.

Ok thanks! Also, I made a phone call to certified marine mechanic and he confirmed what is being said. I'm not sure what it is, but it's coming out! This is an awesome site for great info-thanks again!

Make sure the carbs are not leaking by, or the fuel pump, man that's a lot of you say oil but unless someone dumped it in there it seems to me it would be more like fuel. Because if it's premixed it would be tough to get that much oil in the crankcase. I would be concerned about the seals as well.

Thread Information