Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GP1200R Carburetor & Reeds

Hi!
    Finally fot my first pwc!!
    Purchased a piped GP1200R that needs some love and attention before I can put it in the water..
    I started with rebuilding fuel pumps and now continuing with carburetors and replacing reed petals.
    From what I can see there are Novi Maxiflow carburetors with 48mm on the "manifold" side. Are they Mikuni SBN 46? (for rebuild kit)
    The reed valves look like V-Force Delta 2? There are 4x3 petals. Hard to say for me as a newbie, the pictures on the web look alike but says that Delta 2 is not for GPR..?
    I have also been reading about a reed spacer, good idea for this machine?

Does anyone have the time to help this swede?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	325232   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	327 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	325233  

+1
    Hey there...

First of all welcome to the Forum..

Have to say as a first ski for a newbie.
    - Holy shit you've jumped into the deep end somewhat..!!

Think we need a good deal more pictures and many many more facts on what you have here..??

When you say piped is it safe to assume this is a triple piped ex race craft you have here.?
    - the 48's are not generally associated with a recreational ski.

To answer you question about the reeds yes they are definitely VF2's
    - A spacer plate isn't technically required as they have the correct mounting hardware. (a spacer plate is almost always a good idea though)

In the first image can been seen some after market bars and throttle lever. difficult to make out what else is going on in front area (apart from the nice bling gas cap)
    Also see some nice Riva sponsons at the rear.! Nice jettrim seat cover there too

The second image shows clearly the VF2's and Novi's (where are the rest of the petals from the reeds.??)

Be easier to see what you have here with more images.
    some from the rear showing the ride plate/pump area, some from the underside showing the intake area.
    Shoot some from the inside of the hull showing the motor and around the electrical box area. also shoot some of the dash and around the bars steering.

Pretty certain this will be one quick ski when it's reassembled and on the water..

GET the camera out..

Thank you!

Deep, yes but when I saw the pipes I just couldn't let go!

Ok I'll try my best with the info. Don't have that much history of the ski.
    About the reeds, the middle cage looked like the left one. (one "finger" missing) I have started to disassemble them. (but need inch-allen's)

Shot some photos today.

Views:	164 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	325357   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	144 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	325358   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	301 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	325359   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	202 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	325360  

+1
    Hey again...

There is literally a Shit Load of after market parts on this ski..!!

I see a nice R&D steering system with Fly Aero fatbars, what looks like a Fly billet throttle lever and some nice ODi grips
    That looks like a fuel pressure gauge in the right cowl.?? Also a tiny tach on the steering head.

Underneath you have a Riva single bar intake grate. too difficult to make out the prop, but it looks like a swirl design.

Round the back there is an R&D ride plate and extended tabs. Can't remember for now, who's auto-drop nozzle system that is (I think R&D with interchangeable rings)

In the hull you have a set of Factory Triple Pipes, someone has added the jetworks valves somewhere along the line (this is good)
    I see the stock 1200 head is still in place.?? (possibly had some work done to it.??) Unusual to see valves in the water exit from the head.?
    Decent chance there has been some porting work been done on the cylinders..?? (can you take a look down the side of the cylinders and see if they say 66V or 66E)

I would be fairly certain there will be an Advent T3 or pro-tec modded stock ignition in the electrical box.

Now...
    Have you ridden this ski.? heard it running.? done a compression test .?

It would be make good sense to pressure test the pipes.

Robbe..
    What are your plans for this ski.??

You should be aware Triple piped ski's aren't suited to wavejumping.!

There is Nothing in or on this ski that can't be worked on by a competent person who has good mechanical aptitude and methodical work ethic..??
    More than any other ski, these triples can NOT be bodged or half arsed..!!

Look forward to your progress.
    I'm happy to offer any advice if I have the answer..

As a side note...
    - I have a set of triple pipes and an advent T3 in boxes that may one day get installed in my 1390..

+1
    Hello Robbe144, and welcome to the Hulk. You def have a heavy modded ski ... most likely an open class racer. Need to see your compression numbers ... as Quadzilla, said you your did not waste any time jumping into a monster Yammi. I am sure when you get it all tuned & set up you will have to hang on for some fast rides. ( Not a wave jumper .... though). Good Luck

Hello again
    Cylinders says 66V.

Nope haven't ridden it yet. Fuel pumps disassembled and a dead battery when I got it.
    Now it turns, sparks and pumps fuel. Will put in all new petals, clean and rebuild all carbs.
    Hopefully it fires up and I can take it from there..

The idea is that it's going to be a really fun ski to play with.
    If it's to bad in the moguls I have to rethink.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbe144 View Post
    Hello again
    Cylinders says 66V.

Nope haven't ridden it yet. Fuel pumps disassembled and a dead battery when I got it.
    Now it turns, sparks and pumps fuel. Will put in all new petals, clean and rebuild all carbs.
    Hopefully it fires up and I can take it from there..

The idea is that it's going to be a really fun ski to play with.
    If it's to bad in the moguls I have to rethink.

lol... Moguls.???

Do we have a skier here.??
    - I Snowboard myself (moguls are a giant pain in the ass..!!)

Anyway Robbe.
    I think you've misunderstood when we say this isn't a "wavejumping" craft..

This ski you have here will be very good in rough conditions.

The problem you would encounter is that the pipes are somewhat fragile.
    - So dropping from height (i.e. wavejumping) can cause them to crack.!
    - An internal crack on any of the pipes will grenade the shit out of your motor.! (think crank out threw the cases.!)

That's why when you read or research about triple pipes,
    - there is always mention of them being high maintenance..
    - their maintenance on a race ski is just part of the program, so NO big deal.! (BUT:.recreational riders get lazy and don't check their shit enough)

- You will be aware by now there is a serious amount of water lines inside your hull. - (in your case six inlet and five exit)
    - These all need to be checked on regular basis (take that as before every ride. a quick once over is all it takes.)
    - Also pressure testing the pipes is a good idea. (they can be checked while they're installed pretty easily.)

Should point out just now..
    I'm not trying to scare you out of owning this ski or making you worried it'll blow up..
    - set up right and maintained you will seriously love the hit off this ski.!!
    - I loved everything about my 1200 when the triples where on it. the sound, the acceleration, I need to say the Sound again..!!
    - With the bullit carbon seat and handling package. the ski looked and went awesome..!! (oh.! and it Didn't blow up either)

OK..
    The reason I asked about the cylinders was that many of the 1200 race ski's used the 66E cylinders that came on a GP800r..
    - these had different porting that suited the 8000+rpm that the pipes like..
    - It's no big deal that the 66V clinders are fitted. pretty good chance they'll be ported anyway..

Can you do a compression test when you get a chance.? (it won't matter if the carbs/reeds aren't fitted)
    - what you need is a freshly charged battery.
    - two plugs in and only the one the compression tester is going into out.
    - Ideally disconnect the power valve controller at the electrical plug. pull the rubber boot to one side and rotate the wheel so the valves are down.
    - take a compression reading. then rotate the wheel so the valves are open and take another reading. do this for all three cylinders.
    - If the carbs have been refitted be sure to hold the throttle fully open.!
    - Don't forget to plug the Power valve controller back in when you're done..

While you're doing all that shoot a picture inside the pump from the rear so the veins can be seen.!

Skier yes! The early moguls that comes in the morning when muscles and balance are at the closest of what you thought they were on the way up - come on! But the sneaky ones that appear when you are on the way back to the cabin and you just think of that nice 2 decades old whisky that you're gonna have when you get there - ohh, them I hate!
    Looking forward to test and hear the ski when it's ready. We often have rough conditions here, but one can choose "how rough".

Did a compression test today. They all show 110-115 open or closed pv. Tried them all several times.

Thinking of the every time check water lines.. Just watch the clear hoses or something more?

Views:	79 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	325471  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbe144 View Post
    Looking forward to test and hear the ski when it's ready. We often have rough conditions here, but one can choose "how rough".

Did a compression test today. They all show 110-115 open or closed pv. Tried them all several times.

Thinking of the every time check water lines.. Just watch the clear hoses or something more?

OK then..

Lets deal with the image first..
    - Was hoping to see either a 12 or 14 vein pump stator in there.
    - Turns out it's just the regular Yamaha 6 vein you have.. it's NOT bad news though as it's a later model H.O pump that came on the 05 - 08 ski's.

The compression numbers seem a little on the low side for a triple piped ski.???
    - they would be considered OK'ish on a single pipe. (But,still a little bit low)

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the previous owner or the one before him/her..
    - Has pulled the Super stock motor out or it's blown up.? then put a stock motor back in it's place..?? (this is pure speculation)
    - Perhaps all that has been changed is the head to drop the compression.???
    - Definitely a bit of a mystery this one.??

The maintenance of the ski/pipes is really to take a good look to make sure none of the multitude of hoses or hose clamps are loose.?
    A check to make sure all the retaining bolts are tight. (these pipes shake around)
    Then a periodic pressure check on the pipes.. (when you're ready I'll explain what to do)
    Also periodic checking of the cylinder compression. (8000+ rpm wears stuff out.!!)

I think it might be a good idea to have a look inside your electrical box to find out what CDi you have in there..
    - A quick Image will help us figure it out..

Oh and Moguls are still a giant "pain in the ass"
    - I was hoping to get down to Val D'Isere this week or next, But think that is getting knocked on the head now..

This is my best on a snowboard so far.! (well that has been measured by a device that doesn't take pictures/surf the web/make calls etc etc etc )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNOWBOARD GPS.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	325505

64 with both feet attached to one fat ski - Cool! An unexpected bump will give you airtime..

Ok will open box next time out.
    Fuel pressure gauge is broken and disconnected, where du you hook it up? Have fuel pressure regulator.

Will try try and order some stuff soon when the must-have-list is complete.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information