+1

Want to change rings/headgaskets on my Lowell ported 1300 and 1390Rs...what sizes?

I am not sure the piston size on my 1390 lowell port job (I want to change the rings and applicable gaskets.)...and I plan on doing the same to my lowell ported 1300. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

thanks,

Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    I am not sure the piston size on my 1390 lowell port job (I want to change the rings and applicable gaskets.)...and I plan on doing the same to my lowell ported 1300. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

thanks,

Mike
    the 1390 has wiseco 87mm pistons. the 1300 is 84mm but rings will depend on what brand of pistons you have

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post

thanks,

Mike
    the 1390 has wiseco 87mm pistons. the 1300 is 84mm but rings will depend on what brand of pistons you have
    What he said..!!

To add, Group K would likely be able to source you the 1390 rings. (or your local wiseco dealer)
    - for the 1300 you're looking at either pro-x rings which will fit stock yamaha pistons as well as pro-x pistons (obviously)
    - the other two 1300 options, you might be looking at are again wiseco or WSM (unlikely on the wsm though)

As for the gaskets..
    you are again looking at either Lowell, Woody or Group K for the 1390 head gasket. (others could cut you one)
    the 1300 head gasket is widely available (make sure to use an 05-08 one.!!)
    Base gaskets can in most circumstances be reused unless they come out of a salt water boat that doesn't get flushed after use.
    the exhaust manifold gaskets (manifold to cylinder & manifold to expansion pipe can generally be reused.)

in certain circumstances the head gasket could be reused.?
    (only if it comes off in near perfect condition with NONE of the coating flaking off. this also really goes for the other gaskets.!)

I should mention that..
    As much as gaskets for PWC's are stupidly expensive.!
    - they still cost a lot less than an engine rebuild due to reused gaskets leaking and destroying an engine.

Don't forget the appropriate sealants and thread lockers.

Are you planning to pull the motors to do these re-rings.?

One final note..
    Do NOT omit to pressure check these engines before you use them again.

+1
    I do plan on breaking each of the motors down to their last bolts and going over everything, resealing etc. I appreciate the detailed responses. I'm going to minimally change the gaskets, seals and rings. The motors literally have like 8 hours on fresh builds...they have sat in my back yard for going on their 4th year with NO use (no time, nor money)

-Mike

+1
    If you only have 8 hrs on them may I ask why your a changing the the rings? Was the motor never fogged?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    If you only have 8 hrs on them may I ask why your a changing the the rings? Was the motor never fogged?
    They have sat for going on their 4th year. I am changing them because working and tuning is also a hobby besides riding. It's cheap enough to do and I feel more comfortable after doing so. I understand theres generally no need being such low hours...but it makes me a little more at ease. They were winterized and re-treated by fogging each of the cylinders every season.

-Mike

btw, the pistons for the ported 1300 are Pro-X...how on earth can I find just pro-x piston rings to replace my current ones? Or does the pro-x piston use the same rings as OEM?

+1
    I can get you ProX rings with the VFIII pedals if you like

Thread Information