Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

VX110 Leak When Running

Let me preface this by stating that I am a complete noob...

So... had my 2006 VX110 out today. Cruising, 30-40mpg, nothing crazy. Started to porpoise and slow a bit. Checked the bilge and it was quite full.

Ski does not take on water when off. It sat at the dock about a hour while I was driven back to my trailer and then back to ramp with no observable change in water level. As soon as it is started, though, warm water gushes in apparently from under the engine but it was hard to tell as there was a good bit of water in there. When I got home and flushed it, not a drop hit the bilge. The cooling water input and output hoses seem to be securely attached and I couldn't find any tears or holes at last as far as my big clumsy hands could feel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

+1
    Drain it. Put it on a trailer and back it on the ramp and run it in neutral. Since no overheating buzzer and the water being warm, should be a discharge hose running out the engine to the back or maybe a clamp on the exhaust system. Not too familiar with the VX, but if you need an extra set of eyes, let me know.

If it leaks while it runs it could be the shoe pump. Fill it up with water and see where it drains from. You'll probably have some from either your transom plate or shoe pump. Intermediate bearing could be bad as well. No holes in th bottom of the ski?

Yep. Leaking from the through-hull plate. Sounds like a common story on these VX110s. Moving the engine and breaking bolts is far outside my expertise so she'll be in the shop soon.

Thanks guys.

250-300 no more. If its more, I'll give you a write up on how to do it yourself. The first time you do it., youll say "aww shit, I could have done this all along"

+1
    Use that 5200 and prep the surface clean and dry. Mark around the engine mount bolt/ washers to put it back exactly where it was. Some lift the engine just enough to get the shaft out. Might as well do it yourself as you'll be surprised at the skill level of some techs when it comes to something outside normal maintenance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
    Yep. Leaking from the through-hull plate. Sounds like a common story on these VX110s. Moving the engine and breaking bolts is far outside my expertise so she'll be in the shop soon.

Thanks guys.
    Through hull plate? Are you talking about the transom plate or the Intermediate housing?

I think hes talking about the shoe pump seal...just worded it differently

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    I think hes talking about the shoe pump seal...just worded it differently
    I wonder if it's the whole VX series that leaks, including the vxr vxs

Its not just the VX ski that get this, the fx will as well. The adhesive simply gives up over time. cliff note for the op: Disconnect the battery, Remove the 4 motor mount bolts, remove the exhaust coupling, slide the motor forward 2 inches, Remove the jet pump assembly, remove the 3 screws that hold on the shoe to the inside of the hull, slowly Pull/pry it up, remove the old adhesive, sand, slap on some 5200 to shoe, add some to hull, reassemble, clean-up with an acetone rag, if you lick the tip of your finger you can mold and move the 5200 without getting it stuck on your finger...

Not even gunna lie, when this happens to my rental skis, Ill go ahead and do the transom plate as well. Its just 4 more bolts, about 30 more minuets of cleaning and itll all be dried and done with at the same time...food for thought

it shouldn't take that long and youll be much happier knowing youll be able to fix it, should it happen again. Plus if you know how to fix it, you'll be considered as a saint with all your friends with the same issue. I can give you better step by step but thats about as simple as it gets. Let us know what happens.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information