Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just bought a Polaris SLH. Can someone look at the pic and tell me what I am missing?

Just picked up a pretty nice Polaris SLH ski. Having owned several Sea Doo's this is my first Polaris ski. A guy had it in his garage and never figured it out so he sold it. It looks as though he was attempting to change out some items in the electronics box. Can someone take a look at this pic and tell me what I am missing that goes inside the box. Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris slh electronics.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	325308

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What is in the other half of the electrical box?

I see the CDI ignition module and the starter solenoid.

The ignition coil pack may be missing.

The handwritten number suggests the CDI is part number 4910538

What model year is this SLH?

There are 3 wires that are not hooked up. where the box fold together you will see 2 black/white wires that are wrapped together. These wires along with the black wire coming from the positive battery wire are the only 3 not hooked up. I played with them and was able to get the ski to power on and when you hit the starter everything sounds good but of course there is no spark etc as something is missing and the plug wires coming from the plugs are not attached to anything so it appears the coil is gone but anything else look out of the ordinary?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMky View Post
    There are 3 wires that are not hooked up. where the box fold together you will see 2 black/white wires that are wrapped together. These wires along with the black wire coming from the positive battery wire are the only 3 not hooked up.

I played with them and was able to get the ski to power on and when you hit the starter everything sounds good but of course there is no spark etc as something is missing and the plug wires coming from the plugs are not attached to anything so it appears the coil is gone but anything else look out of the ordinary?
    Ignition coil connects to the Black/White wires from the CDI.

Black wire from the battery positive? You sure about that?

The Black wires (in factory configuration) should all connect to ground. In the Polaris electrical box, there should not be any black wires connected to positive.

Note that there are two different wiring configurations. The original ignition system prior to 2000 used what is known as a Gen I or Gen II ignition. This system included a thin black wire between the battery negative and the electrical box.

Due to reliability issues Polaris later issued an Ignition System Update Kit. The update kit included a new Gen III CDI, a new Gen III magneto stator, and a new ignition coil. When these new parts are installed, the thin black wire to the battery negative is removed (cut).

See my signature links for more info on the red domestic ignition system and how to test the components. You can identify an update vs original stator just from the ohm measurements of the stator coils.

My bad on the wire in question by the positive cable. It is actually a red wire that has black tape on it. I just need to figure out where that ones goes. As for the year it is a 2001 model. Here is what I think happened. For some reason it quit firing and the previous owner replaced the cdi box and quit at that point? I found the old CDI box in the storage compartment. I know it will now turn over so I guess I just need to find the coil and anything else you think might be missing. By the way thank you for the help it is greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris 5476.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	325383

Banned User
    +1
    You are missing the coil and the push button circuit breaker from what I can tell.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    push button circuit breaker
    Which is where that red wire wrapped in black tape attaches........ You may want to pull that tape back and have a look at the wire. Perhaps spliced or cut and in need of securing/repair......

10. +1 by:

Ok guys where can you recommend that I should go to buy the coil and circuit breaker from. I'm hoping that will fix it? I know the motor sounds tight so I'm only into this thing for $250 so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris Ski.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	325470

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information