Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Visibility of oil line connections on XLT-1200 ???

OK, I give. So what is the trick to putting eyes on the oil line connections on the carb ports without taking the damn exhaust out? I removed, trimmed and re-zipped my oil lines last year and I want to double check the connections again this year before the skis get wet next weekend.

+1
    You can kinda see them with a light, if unsure at all remove pipe and otiker clamp or safety wire them (stainless) and give them a good tug...so there is no doubt

+1
    Anybody got the trick?

+1
    there is no trick if you zip tied them as they should be, then you will not see them,if you start pulling on the fuel lines to try to see you may pop one off, if you removed them and trimed them, that is a mistake as they are to short to begine with, you should had replaced the lines with 4 inches longer lines or added 4 to 6 inches of extra line to it, and zip tied eveything whith at least 1/2" of line extra to the oil port to allow for shrinkage, or just blocked it off for peace of mind.

+1
    Actually, the reason most of the lines were too "short" as you call it is because they were zip tied in a bundle way forward in the ski with too much tension left at each carb. You can remove and replace the lines or did what I did. I removed the big factory zip tie near the front of the motor (the one that holds all the oil lines), which immediately gave the lines another 3-4" of movement, trimmed the expanded ends, re-fastened and re-zip'd. I just wanna make sure they are still ok.

Not looking for opinions on what I should have done but I am still looking for tips and tricks on visible access to the connections at the carbs without taking out the exhaust. I've seen the trick mentioned but cannot locate it via search.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Actually, the reason most of the lines were too "short" as you call it is because they were zip tied in a bundle way forward in the ski with too much tension left at each carb. You can remove and replace the lines or did what I did. I removed the big factory zip tie near the front of the motor (the one that holds all the oil lines), which immediately gave the lines another 3-4" of movement, trimmed the expanded ends, re-fastened and re-zip'd. I just wanna make sure they are still ok.

Not looking for opinions on what I should have done but I am still looking for tips and tricks on visible access to the connections at the carbs without taking out the exhaust. I've seen the trick mentioned but cannot locate it via search.

If you had that much line you were lucky or someone added new lines, I do this for a living and they do shrink from heat and over the years of age, good luck with your tips,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek45 View Post

If you had that much line you were lucky or someone added new lines, I do this for a living and they do shrink from heat and over the years of age, good luck with your tips,
    Yes, they had shrunk and come loose on cylinder 3 while I was testing them last year so I immediately remedied the issue as described above . Just want to double check them for this season. If you do this for a living then you know that there is enough tubing to create sufficient slack if you cut the zip tie at the front of the block, pull the lines forward, trim 1/4" and reconnect/re-zip them.

As a matter of fact, I found the post here describing how to do it.

+1
    There usually is enough slack if zips are cut and hoses re routed, if you stand on the port side of your ski look between the head and pipe towards the carbs...using a flash light and a long flathead screw driver(to move lines around) you may be able to see them...but I know of no magic "trick"

+1
    If zip tied moving the lines around you may pop an oil line off, while checking the other lines and think your good to go, as a side note, I have seen these lines shrink to where there was no slack at all

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    There usually is enough slack if zips are cut and hoses re routed, if you stand on the port side of your ski look between the head and pipe towards the carbs...using a flash light and a long flathead screw driver(to move lines around) you may be able to see them...but I know of no magic "trick"
    Someone posted at one time that there was a certain angle you could just BARELY see them but for the life of me, I cannot find that magic angle with my swiveling/telescoping/lighted mirror.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information