+1

Is it just my Spark?

I ride in the Tampa Bay area. Yesterday I went out and could not go past 30 mph. After 25 mph any little roller has me landing sideways and my passenger almost yanking me off. I haven't had a chance to ride in any flat water. Trying to find a nice lake to ride in. Also haven't had the chance to ride solo. Any time I go out involves my kids.
    I don't have experience riding ski's other than a few rentals which hardly counts. So I'm not exactly sure what to expect.

Spark 3up with iBR

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDog View Post
    I ride in the Tampa Bay area. ...

I haven't had a chance to ride in any flat water. Trying to find a nice lake to ride in.

... haven't had the chance to ride solo...

I don't have experience riding ski's other than a few rentals which hardly counts. So I'm not exactly sure what to expect.

Spark 3up with iBR
    Perhaps you can find some local members from the Greenhulk community to ride with. They don't need to be Spark owners, or even SeaDoo owners.

Make a plan to go riding with them, no passengers.

Experienced riders in the group will be able to tell you in minutes if there is a problem with the watercraft or perhaps you just need to change/improve your riding technique.

+1
    I know it's a different ride riding solo. Especially when your passenger is scared to fall in the water.
    I'm sure I can improve my riding skills.

+1

Cool

Your ski should dooo more than 30 mph even with a passenger.
    Are you wot at 30 mph?
    You have the 90hp?

I do 42 mph on my 60hp with me and my girlfriend

+1
    Don't get me wrong the ski is capable of going faster. My issue is keeping it in the water. Any little wave has me jumping out of the water. What I was saying is that once I hit 30 is when it doesn't stay hooked.

Shift your weight, get used to riding

8. +1 by:

+1
    Apply force downwards on throttle and hold on, thats how you go fast

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... the ski is capable of going faster. My issue is keeping it in the water. Any little wave has me jumping out of the water ... it doesn't stay hooked.
    On small hulls running at speed in roughish water, you should stand up while riding.

The ski can then bounce and dance underneath you while your legs remain flexed to absorb to up and down hull motions. Standing works best when riding solo.

With experience you will learn that sometimes there is a speed range at which the ride is roughest. Faster speeds can reduce the pounding but it takes more skill in reading the water ahead to not overcook it.

If you expect to frequently ride in roughish water at speed with a passenger, the Spark may not be the optimal hull for the job.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... the ski is capable of going faster. My issue is keeping it in the water. Any little wave has me jumping out of the water ... it doesn't stay hooked.
    On small hulls running at speed in roughish water, you should stand up while riding.

The ski can then bounce and dance underneath you while your legs remain flexed to absorb to up and down hull motions. Standing works best when riding solo.

With experience you will learn that sometimes there is a speed range at which the ride is roughest. Faster speeds can reduce the pounding but it takes more skill in reading the water ahead to not overcook it.

If you expect to frequently ride in roughish water at speed with a passenger, the Spark may not be the optimal hull for the job.
    Thanks for the tips. I need to get out solo. I try to stand but as you can imagine that's nearly impossible with a passenger. I have never taken a passenger on my motorcycle for the same reason. You lean one way and they want to counter balance.

Thread Information