Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ride Report - Rode 2014 FZS and 2013 RXP-X in the same day

I had the good fortune of riding both these bad boys the same day. Here are my initial thoughts. Keep in mind I didnít get to do a thorough test or evaluation, just some cruising/playing around. And Ive always been a seadoo fan so i may be biased.

RXP-X PROS
    The RXP-X looks amazing - far better in my opinion than the FZS. If batman rode a PWC, this is what it would look like Ė he would just need to black it out, which i may do actually. The FZS just looks like another waverunner. Waverunners all look the same to me, lol.

RXP-X controls are far superior in looks and functionality in my opinion. I prefer even the older style 2009 RXP-X controls/steering over the FZS. RXP-X gauges look much better than the FZS

RXP-X has far more bells and whistles/features/options than the FZS

RXP-x hooks up and turns incredible, I couldnít even break it loose. It grips the water like nothing else. The FZS I can break loose easy. It feels more like riding a 2009 RXP-X in terms of handling. I think its worse actually.

RXP-X braking system works flawlessly and is very intuitive. I was skeptical about the brake system at first, but after having used it, and seeing how easy and responsive it is with just a simple one finger trigger to pull, wow, it totally makes docking and low speed maneuvers so easy. This feature should be great for newbieís or young rides in terms of safely and avoiding accidents. FZS has no brake.
    RXP-X reverse system is intuitive and very easy with just one finger pull of a smooth lever. FZS has its reverse on the wrong side, and there is no grip on it, so that it is even harder to use. This is a total fail for the FZS in my opinion.

RXP-X has the most incredibly comfortable and smooth ride (given the type of ski it is) i've ever experienced. Absolutely amazing. Nothing special about the ride of the FZS, actually the seat feels too wide.

The FZS has no rear grab handle to use while getting on while in the water. Even with the rear step, itís harder to mount the ski than the RPX-X with no rear step because of the lack of the handle. I can imagine there being an issue mounting the FZS in rough seas. Im 170lbs athletic so someone heavier might disagree with me, but even so the rear step is also an option for the RXP-X as i understand.

I didnít get to race the skis, but Iíve heard they are pretty much neck and neck in terms of acceleration and top speed.

I believe the FZS had a trim system but i didnt try it out. So i cant compare it to the RXP-X trim system.

Obviously the FZS has the 1.8L engine which is superior to the 1.5L seadoo, and i understand the FZS can be hooked up easier to get to 80+mph, and it has better reliability no doubt. But I would give the RXP-X a strong win in almost every other category.

The bottom line for me was this: What the FZR lacks canít easily be made up for. What the RXP-X lacks can be made up for fairly easy with better maintenance, a little extra work and money with the mods, and a little more spent on repairs.

I was so impressed with the new RXP-X, that I went and bought one 2 days later. I had no intention of doing this before riding it. I thought it wouldnít be much different than my 2009 RXP-X

So Iím now the proud owner of a brand new 2013 RXP-X! Mods to come.....

Cheers!

+1
    Just got myself one of those (RXP-X). I was glad to read your (biased) report!

+1
    Congrats!

Reading this makes me want to upgrade.

+1
    I have not been on a fzr or fzs but the upgrade from my 06 rxt (modded to 77mph) to the 12 rxpx was truly amazing!
    So much more fun to ride!

I have spent time on a stock 04 rxp and the 12 px blows that away also!

Thanks for the write up!

+1
    I have owned them both and the Motor in the FZR is what people buy. It is incredible when unlessed.

BUT the RXP-X is far better in every other way. Hands DOwn. The Yamaha Boys have us in the power department. And then us Seadoo boys own them in the rest. Ofcoarse everyone has there own 2 cents. This is mine.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Your assessment seems to be about dead on.

If your only goal is flat out speed the 2014 FZR is hard to beat. Beyond that it really doesn't offer much.

P.S.: I don't get why Yamaha hasn't just giving up on the reverse system they have. Awkward is about the best thing you can say about it.

+1
    I'd love to have my old blaster 2 back. Funnest thing I've been on and I don't even think it could touch 50. Fun as hell and CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP on gas.

Just got myself one of those 2014 (RXP-X) Can't wait to ride it!! I came from Yamaha. I think I will enjoy RXPX way more than my old Yamaha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmcd View Post
    Just got myself one of those 2014 (RXP-X) Can't wait to ride it!! I came from Yamaha. I think I will enjoy RXPX way more than my old Yamaha
    Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information