2002 GTX RFI, Oil Fouling Both plugs + Fast Idle.

So the with fresh plugs, it starts and runs. Fires right up and sits around 1600 rpm. While just siting the Rpms will slowly climb up over about 5 min of running it works it way up to 2250-2300 rpm. It does smoke, while not excessively (it does not kill mosquitos kinda smoke) it does smoke alot more than my 2000 gtx rfi. When i removed the plugs they come out wet with oil, and a light grey color. (oil fould + lean?)

I have done a bit of reading, and know that oil fouling both plugs is more than likely a RV seal / Wrong sealant used on case halves when the previous owner " rebuild from crank up ". I am thinking its a sealant issue with the case halves, due to the lean condition combined with oil fouling. I have ordered a pressure tester to do a leak test on the RV cavity and case. Gona be a busy weekend.

From what i've been able to read up on the other possible issues for oil fouling both plugs could be..
    Rv seal
    Crank seals : people say not likely, but possible for both inner crank seals to go.
    Case sealant

Fuel Injectors: Dirty/cloged
    Fuel Pressure Regulator: Pressure to low
    Fuel Pump: Not keeping up
    ECM / MPEM : defective
    Oil Pump : misalignment, (checked, and appears to be lined up properly)
    Oil Injector valves: not holding pressure ( i believe i read they should hold 1.5 psi )

Could using the Wrong Oil also cause this?

As if my " to do test list " isn't long enough, is there other possibilities?

+1
    Sounds like they premixed it... like it has extra oil in the gas for break in possibly? BTW, this is a major f-up on these motors... the oil that is mixed with the gas never sees the bottom end of the motor so it really doesn't help, it only fouls plugs. Was the throttle position reset when the motor was rebuilt? I have found through a lot of experience with RFI engines that the throttle position must be reset when major motor work is performed... read up on this because it's a long story. Has to be done with candoo or buds...

Seals or crank sealing is a possibility, but this condition could just as easily be caused be a leaky exhaust gasket. Is there any smoke or water in the engine compartment when you run it? I am assuming you are running it for these extended runs IN the water? On the hose or dry runs longer than a minute or two can cause many troubles...

These motors are finicky as hell. The oil pump cable adjustment must be what you are calling alignment... It can be off and not effect idle. I am not aware of any "oil injector valves" on this motor... possibly a mis-read there.

When i bought it, it had an almost empty tank. Ive already cleaned out the tank and put fresh 91 in before running it.

My pressure tester arrived today. it held 10 psi for an hour. pulled plugs, still no drop in pressure.
    Compression Check shows 165/165.
    Plug wires have been striped back and cleaned. Checked with inline spark tester, and appears to have good spark.

Next up, Fuel system.. Guess its time to order a CanDoo Pro home so i can start with the TPS reset. And since i now have 2 rfi's i may as well get the proper tools for them.

While i wait for a the candoo, can anyone tell me what " fittings " the high pressure fuel lines are? are they GM based? Ford? I have a fuel pressure tester but not the right adapter to connect to the fuel rail. Figured id go ahead and test the pump/regulator. Also going to pull the injectors and check spray pattern and clean/rebuild/replace as needed.

+1
    I put the fuel pressure tester inline with the supply hose with a t fitting and hose clamps on my rfi. If I remember correctly the fancy fuel rail connector is just hose clamped on the fuel supply hose. You should have around 60 psi at all rpms. Also be sure to read the tps reset procedure in the manual. You have to back the idle screw all the way out, reset it, and then turn it in a certain amount of turns that is listed in the manual. Also check to make sure the cable going to the oil pump hasn't came off. If it does the pump defaults to wide open.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skewba98z28 View Post
    I put the fuel pressure tester inline with the supply hose with a t fitting and hose clamps on my rfi. If I remember correctly the fancy fuel rail connector is just hose clamped on the fuel supply hose. You should have around 60 psi at all rpms. Also be sure to read the tps reset procedure in the manual. You have to back the idle screw all the way out, reset it, and then turn it in a certain amount of turns that is listed in the manual. Also check to make sure the cable going to the oil pump hasn't came off. If it does the pump defaults to wide open.
    You miss your old RFI don't ya there Matt?... It was the first RFI we tackled, took us a lot of reading and 2 motor swaps to get his dialed in... but once it was right it was right. We will see if ole Bill calls us to get it running this spring... i suspect he won't have any problems.

Thread Information