Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Not another Apple vs. Samsung thread

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid chicken View Post
    ... the iPhone 4 was free so it won out...
    The iPhone 5S is a long way from the iPhone 4.

Apple does incremental improvements with each hardware generation. Three generations between 4 and 5S makes for a noticeable difference.

I use an iPhone 5S now. When I pick up someone else's iPhone 4 or even 4S I am reminded how much better the 5S is now.

When new each iPhone generation was top shelf hardware and software. The rate of improvement is astounding when you look at what was considered 'pretty good' a few years ago.

It is expected the OS software on the iPhone will receive multiple OS upgrades during the hardware lifetime. My 5S is a better iPhone now than it was when I first got it. I expect that to continue going forward.
    Heck, I have the 5 (not S) and my wife has 4s and the difference is VERY noticeable.
    Last edited by K447; 03-27-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: This thread was extracted from the Sprint framily plan thread

+1
    What ever you do, DONT let YoYamma know that you are switching to Android....This will turn into a 50 page thread about how great Apple is....LMAO!!!!!

By the way, I made the switch years ago and have loved it ever since. I use my old Iphone as an MP3 player and every time I pick it up I wonder how I used a phone soooo small for sooo long.....I am a big guy(6'9")

Thanks for the info about the new kitkat, I will check to see if it available for my GS3.

3. +1 by:

if you havnt jailbroken and tweaked an iphone to its fullest potential, then you really dont know what you are missing. Same goes with a rooted droid. I couldnt even go a day without my phone set up the way it is, stock os sucks...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    ... turn into a 50 page thread about how great Apple is....

Thanks for the info about the new kitkat, I will check to see if it available for my GS3.
    Don't want to become an Apple vs whatever thread...

That said, timely availability of updates to the most recent OS version is a huge difference between Apple and non-Apple mobile.

This article shows the current statistics.

Some Android brands (Nexus) are more responsive with OS updates, but overall the availability of timely Android OS updates seems to be absent or short lived for a lot of the popular hardware.

Complicating things is Samsung's practice of using the same product name (such as Galaxy S3) for multiple technically different products, with different OS update paths. S3 is not a single model, it is a range of models.
    Last edited by K447; 03-26-2014 at 09:03 AM.

+1
    What ever you do, DONT let YoYamma know that you are switching to Android....This will turn into a 50 page thread about how great Apple is....LMAO!!!!!

By the way, I made the switch years ago and have loved it ever since. I use my old Iphone as an MP3 player and every time I pick it up I wonder how I used a phone soooo small for sooo long.....I am a big guy(6'9")

The only 4.4 kit Kat you will get is a custom rom. Stock touchwiz 4.4 will probably never make it to the gs3. I used to make roms back before ics came out and then it got to time consuming and difficult for my slow server. Lol. I have a galaxy nexus running aosp 4.4 kit Kat with lean kernel and it's a beast for an almost 3 year old phone. My galaxy s4 is on a modded 4.3 touchwiz rom with ktoonez kernel and it's amazing as well. Do you happen to know what bootloader you have on your gs3? It you have an updated and locked bootloader you won't be able to completely flash over the existing rom, but with a method called safestrap can load a custom rom and kernel using a custom recovery on the SD card side of the internal memory where there are no privilege restrictions then after it loads the primary bootloader and then it switches over to the new one. Basically it's like a dual boot. One side stick untouched the other custom.

+1
    ... turn into a 50 page thread about how great Apple is....

Don't want to become an Apple vs whatever thread...

That said, timely availability of updates to the most recent OS version is a huge difference between Apple and non-Apple mobile.

This article shows the current statistics.

Some Android brands (Nexus) are more responsive with OS updates, but overall the availability of timely Android OS updates seems to be absent or short lived for a lot of the popular hardware.

Complicating things is Samsung's practice of using the same product name (such as Galaxy S3) for multiple technically different products, with different OS update paths. S3 is not a single model, it is a range of models.
    Yes they are a range of model but just like the iPhone 5 and 5s there are different hardware variations.

+1

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447
    ... S3 is not a single model, it is a range of models.
    Yes they are a range of model but just like the iPhone 5 and 5s there are different hardware variations.
    For the user, the experience is not the same. You have an iPhone 5, you get the OS update at the same time and same method (direct from Apple) as every other iPhone 5 owner, even if your hardware is internally different (Verizon iPhone, for example).

Same with iPhone 5S, 4S or even 4, all hardware versions get the OS update, even if there are some internal hardware variations.

With the Galaxy S3 it matters which version, from which carrier, a particular S3 owner has. Some S3 (and S4, etc) variations will have separate updates, some available after others, some may not be happening at all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post

Android always will pwn over iSheep.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447
    ... S3 is not a single model, it is a range of models.
    For the user, the experience is not the same. You have an iPhone 5, you get the OS update at the same time and same method (direct from Apple) as every other iPhone 5 owner, even if your hardware is internally different (Verizon iPhone, for example).

Same with iPhone 5S, 4S or even 4, all hardware versions get the OS update, even if there are some internal hardware variations.

With the Galaxy S3 it matters which version, from which carrier, a particular S3 owner has. Some S3 (and S4, etc) variations will have separate updates, some available after others, some may not be happening at all.
    Yes but a simple little rooting and I can update anytime. But another example the iPhone 4 with the same update as the iPhone 5s runs like shit. The multitasking is a joke, the back button at the top of the screen makes for slower use, the lack of personalization, and the most important thing is when apple launches a new feature that Android literally has used for years the iSheep thinks that apple invented the world.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information