yet another "What ski do I buy for Offshore & Distance" thread

I know there are a few threads on the subject scattered about, but admit it,, you were just thinking... "man we really could use another what to buy thread"

I want to pick the brains of you regular riders that hit the ocean frequently with long stops between fuel.

I'm posting this in the yami section because i'm leaning heavily towards a yamaha, so I don't mind yamaha heavy responses, but I would like model specific responses if possible.

Its time to move away from the GP1300r, I love the 70mph speed, but can't stand the 65 mile range, its been sitting home more frequently while I putter around on my honda R12x which is stupid on fuel. However, the Honda (which was supposed to be just my loaner) beats the crap out of me in the Gulf, and the GP isn't an offshore cruiser by any stretch.

I want to do more long distance runs in the Gulf of Mex, I live in SW Florida and want to do distance cruising from A to B, offshore, not wave jumping, and I need to invest in a ski that will allow that to happen. My regular ride buddy is making the same plans to replace his R12X as well.

I"m not quite up to snuff on the yamaha 4 stroke engines and hull mods, and plan on more reading, never owned one, and only rode one model, (06 FXHO) so if my info is incorrect, its because of lazy googling and I apologize.

Not trying to save on fuel costs, i'm trying to extend my range without packing gas.
    (if i pack gas i want to push 160 miles w/o having to find a marina)

I'm not really thinking SC models, just your standard n.a. If I wanted SC i'd probably go SD and buy a good life jacket for the day it sinks

The 4 models i'm considering..

HO 160's, will be great on fuel... (120 miles on a tank riding going easy on the throttle) and 'good enough' in the gulf, top speed 58ish ? which is a little sluggish for me. 87 octane , No real significant mods. (this is the only model of the 4 listed that I've ridden) 5-7K cost, its only on the top of the list because it has the lowest cost base and i'm afraid I might buy one just because I can save 2-3K over other choices. (in other words, feel free to talk me out of it, the only downside with this model is although it handles offshore well, it's probably the worst of the list here)

HO 1.8, still pretty good on fuel (100ish miles on a tank riding easy ?) will be better will be in the gulf than the 160's, 2012 and up will be even better? 87 octane and more mods available. 63mph top speed stock (are there mods that will specifically improve fuel economy like modified airbox, R3? ) 7-12K cost. My second choice, and would be first if they were cheaper

Honda F15X, hard to find the ski, harder to find parts, but according to reviews handles offshore as good as you could ask, and 120ish mile range if I read the reviews correctly. 93 octane (turbo) but I can run 87 if I understand right. 6-8K cost but i'll probably be driving out of state to find it.

Ultra LX, slow, but great with offshore capability, big fuel tank + fuel economy and 120+ range ? 87 octane, but I might have to bring a pillow for my ride buddy to take a quick nap while waiting for me to catch up unless he buys the same model. 7-8k cost.

and yes, I know range/consumption varies with conditions/temperature/WOT runs, i've been riding for years, (but mostly 2 strokes) and I just need a guideline that I can work with, then i'll do a few 60-80 mile runs and determine how far I can push it when I start planning some long runs.

Is any of my information incorrect re: fuel range/octane/offshore capabilities ?

Is there a model that i'm overlooking that I should put under consideration as a priority over the 4 above ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Fx svho all day!!!!

+1
    While yes in ECO mode there is a slight drop in performance with the Ultra 300/310 the economy is MUCH better than the previous 250/260 models. Here is a quote from another thread from someone who ownes both the FX SHO and 310.

"I was quite surprised at the the Gas mileage when put in ECO mode; it was as good as my FX SHO at the same RPM. If full acceleration is not needed and the pace of the ride is not too crisp, ECO mode is a good way to go. JB"

The ride of the Ultra hull and the belt driven supercharger and now good fuel economy the Ultra is a very good option for both offshore performance and recreational use.
    While I consider the Ultra LX non supercharged model to be the perfect recreational ski it does lack when widing with other supercharged skis. This is also the case with the FX HO model. Great ride, Great reliability but slow. Both are comparible in speed and really if it is rough how much riding will be over 55 mph. Both these skis would make it great.

The fuel capacity/range of the Ultra LX would edge it out over the FX HO. Not at all saying anything bad about the Yamaha products but to answer directly what you are discussing the heavier, more solid Ultra hull that is proven to be the best offshore hull even as you stated.
    I do think that you have the correct crafts listed. Ultra and FX are the best options. The FX will do what you seem to be asking of your craft so if you are a Yamaha faithful go with that model. If you want the little bit better for your demands, the Ultra models.
    FWIW, Craig Warner who won this years Mark Hahn ran in ECO mode and was able to make it 6 laps, 60 Miles, between fill ups and was still fast enough to win the race. ECO mode still gives you a great performing ski compared to others just not to the level of the Ultra on full power.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spimothy Leary View Post
    I'm posting this in the yami section because i'm leaning heavily towards a yamaha, so I don't mind yamaha heavy responses, but I would like model specific responses if possible.
    You are 'leaning' the right way; we have an owner on here with 500 hours in the ocean and zero issues. And this is on the original supercharger, imagine that:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213118

Quote Originally Posted by Spimothy Leary View Post
    HO 1.8, still pretty good on fuel (100ish miles on a tank riding easy ?) will be better will be in the gulf than the 160's, 2012 and up will be even better? 87 octane and more mods available. 63mph top speed stock (are there mods that will specifically improve fuel economy like modified airbox, R3? ) 7-12K cost. My second choice, and would be first if they were cheaper
    Yes, the FX HO; this would be my first choice for your situation; you just can't beat that massive 1812 cc, 1.8L Yamaha engine. A ski that will get you there, and get you back to the dock. Combined with excellent fuel economy and no more oil in the fuel; you won't miss the 2 stroke. And if you decide you need more performance try the FX SHO; both of these skis can be backed with a 5 year warranty; and Yamaha is so confident of the quality, they are the only manufacturer to step up and offer a certified pre-owned program.

I'll probably end up with an 08+ 1.8 in the end, the prices on them seem be be gradually working their way down to my level, and if i'm diligent I can find one that fits. I"m afraid if I settle for the fx 160 i'll end up wanting more, but the price difference is still pretty significant between the two models, makes quite a bit of a difference when your paying cash.

Thread Information