Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help.....Bilge Pump Wiring

I'm not terribly comfortable with my VXR not having an electric bilge pump system. I liked the system on my old Polaris Virage where the electric pump ran continuously when the engine was on.....but also had a manual switch if the engine was not running.

I want to go with a 3-position switch to provide:

on (continuous) - off - on (manual)

I've drawn up my idea of a simple hook-up on this rough diagram......is there any reason why this shouldn't work? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BILGE WIRING DIAGRAM.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	325562
    Last edited by hkg3k; 03-28-2014 at 09:16 PM.

+1
    It would be easier to use a relay for the switched power as the amp draw from something that is an on board wire or device won't be enough.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hkg3k View Post
    I'm not terribly comfortable with my VXR not having an electric bilge pump system. I liked the system on my old Polaris Virage where the electric pump ran automatically when the engine was on.....but also had a manual switch if the engine was not running.

on (automatic) - off - on (manual)

I've drawn up my idea of a simple hook-up on this rough diagram......is there any reason why this shouldn't work? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the crude drawing was done from my phone.

+1
    I'm not terribly comfortable with my VXR not having an electric bilge pump system. I liked the system on my old Polaris Virage where the electric pump ran automatically when the engine was on.....but also had a manual switch if the engine was not running.

on (automatic) - off - on (manual)

Your diagraham is correct Just be sure to buy a good quality heavy duty switch and use 14 gauge wire , No Need for a relay IMO. Tommy Jordan

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    This thread has an excruciatingly step by step bilge pump install explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This thread has an excruciatingly step by step bilge pump install explanation.
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not installing an automatic pump. I want continuous pump running (like my old Polaris) with engine on and the ability to manually turn pump on with the engine off.

Maybe my use of the term "automatic" was confusing......I've corrected my original post to read "continuous."

Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    It would be easier to use a relay for the switched power as the amp draw from something that is an on board wire or device won't be enough.
    To an "electrical cripple" like me.....adding a relay and its additional connections would not be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Your diagraham is correct Just be sure to buy a good quality heavy duty switch and use 14 gauge wire , No Need for a relay IMO. Tommy Jordan
    Thanks Tommy. Do you have a suggestion of where I might tap a switched wire with the amperage to run the pump continuously? Draw on a Rule 25D is 1.9-2.5 amps. Thanks in advance.

i used a red/yellow switched wire at front of ski to power up a bilge blower fan that draws more amps than your talking about....works flawlessly....when ski is cranked the fan comes on and when ski is turned off the fan will continue to run for approx 30 seconds then go off....hope this helps...the wire is located in a bundle in front of ski above the front of gas tank...this is for a 2013 vxs...im assuming it would be same for vxr but may wanna check it out...

+1
    ... I'm not installing an automatic pump.

I want continuous pump running (like my old Polaris) with engine on and the ability to manually turn pump on with the engine off...
    Well then, I can post up a simple wiring diagram tomorrow for that.

The trick is to use diodes to allow the bilge pump to run continuously when the engine is running, yet not confuse or back feed the watercraft electrical system when you turn the manual switch on to force the pump to run with engine off.

All you need to do is identify the appropriate place to tap into the electrical system for a connection that has battery voltage when engine is running and no battery voltage when engine is not running.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool69 View Post
    i used a red/yellow switched wire at front of ski to power up a bilge blower fan that draws more amps than your talking about....works flawlessly....when ski is cranked the fan comes on and when ski is turned off the fan will continue to run for approx 30 seconds then go off....hope this helps...the wire is located in a bundle in front of ski above the front of gas tank...this is for a 2013 vxs...im assuming it would be same for vxr but may wanna check it out...
    Thanks oldschool69.....I'd read elsewhere the red / yellow stripe wire up front was switched, but it didn't mention what it was being used for. Sounds like it'll work for running a bilge pump continuously.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool69 View Post
    Thanks oldschool69.....I'd read elsewhere the red / yellow stripe wire up front was switched, but it didn't mention what it was being used for. Sounds like it'll work for running a bilge pump continuously.
    Is there a wiring diagram available for this machine?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information