Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 GP1300 engine problem, help on diagnostics

Hi there,

I Live in perth western Australian and mainly drive in rought sea water, my ski is my baby and has done 131 hours so far, only mods are pump seal intake great and d plate conversion.

rode my ski today for about 1mile and then died, turns over but no ignition.
    come home, check plugs, still spark in each when put plug against body.

checked compression with 95pound in first, 60pound in second and 105 pound in 3rd. there looks to be oil in the cylinders but dont know how to test for petrol.

please could you give me some help and ideas on problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by devie View Post
    Hi there,

I Live in perth western Australian and mainly drive in rought sea water, my ski is my baby and has done 131 hours so far, only mods are pump seal intake great and d plate conversion.

rode my ski today for about 1mile and then died, turns over but no ignition.
    come home, check plugs, still spark in each when put plug against body.

checked compression with 95pound in first, 60pound in second and 105 pound in 3rd. there looks to be oil in the cylinders but dont know how to test for petrol.

please could you give me some help and ideas on problem.

Hey there devie..

Well right out the gate I can tell you your compression is NO good.!!
    - Number 1 is too low.. Number two is gubbed.!! and Number three is at rebuild numbers.

Test again and make sure to have the battery fully charged and throttle held wide open.

When you are cranking it over, once the display comes on hold down the button on the gauge for eight seconds.!
    - there may be a code that will flash up.? if it does post it up here. Can't remember if the engine needs to be running.? (01 is NO code stored/everything normal)

Think you might be looking at a rebuild freshen up of your ski..
    - As much as 131hrs isn't extremely high. On a ski that's had the Shit kicked out of it in the sea that's actually not that bad you got to 131..!

Post up what a second compression test shows. also some images of the spark plugs can help somewhat..
    - (remember Number one cylinder is at the front. there's occasionally confusion on this.)

thanks for the help, when the ski bogged out i held in the menu button witch showed me 01, no error recorded. when i am doing my tests am i ment to hold the throttle in as to represent me accelerating or by out do you mean dont touch it?
    i have a video of the turn over but am struggling to upload it, says its the wrong file or something, working on it now. cheers for the help and yes i am the owner since 15 hours and its taken a good sea pounding, along with some massive airs, id say could be posssibly the highest ive ever seen on a ski

+1
    thanks for the help, when the ski bogged out i held in the menu button witch showed me 01, no error recorded. when i am doing my tests am i ment to hold the throttle in as to represent me accelerating or by out do you mean dont touch it?
    i have a video of the turn over but am struggling to upload it, says its the wrong file or something, working on it now. cheers for the help and yes i am the owner since 15 hours and its taken a good sea pounding, along with some massive airs, id say could be posssibly the highest ive ever seen on a ski
    Yeah hold the throttle pinned open.. (I usually wrap the wrist part of the lanyard round the throttle lever)
    - the throttle bodies really need to be open in order to get a consistent reading. (if they're closed no real air can get in to get compressed)

In the video the motor sounds like a bag of spanners.. (LOL so that's normal..!!)

Are you able and confident enough in doing the work on your ski.??
    - after the next round of compression tests. if they don't show up significantly higher compression. (use the best gauge you can get your hands on.)
    - you will need to be getting into the motor.. (first stage would be getting the head off)

Actually if this were my ski/engine i would be pressure testing it before removing any parts.!!
    - This could highlight a difficult to find cause of your problems here.??

Some examples I have seen personally.
    1/. Split throttle body mounting boot.!
    2/. leaking cylinder base gasket.
    3/. leaking head gasket.
    4/. leaking throttle plate to reed block.
    5/. leaking rear crank seals (seen this numerous times.!!)
    6/. leaking front crank seal

Any and all of the above conditions can and would burn up a motor in no time at all.!

Unfortunately it appears you are looking at a rebuild of some description.!
    - either a freshen up of the top end.
    - Or go the whole hog and do it all.?

just home from work on a lunch break and repeated tests only to find about 10 pound more in each cylinder, looked inside #2 to find some wear so will probably pull of head just to check, I am confident on working on my ski just need to learn more about the terms used and also tools needed. im hoping this is a basic top end rebuild and may replace pistons depending on wear even if there is no need.

do you recommend blocking off oil lines?
    also is the cylinder is black does it indicate no oil or no petrol?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-31 12.21.12.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	325677

here is the spark plug photo out of middle cylinder #2.

also forgot to add a major problem, jetski sunk 11 hours ago but ran beautiful for 11 hours, don't know if this is related.

thanks for the help so far, all shops near me want $500 to look

+1

also forgot to add a major problem, jetski sunk 11 hours ago but ran beautiful for 11 hours, don't know if this is related.
    This is very relevant. Please tell us how you took care of the ski after sinking it.

Your compression numbers are real bad. I say get ready for a complete teardown and rebuild. Have you ever done anything to the ski for top end rebuilds?

No more cranking the engine over!

Please reply back with more info and answers.

also forgot to add a major problem, jetski sunk 11 hours ago but ran beautiful for 11 hours, don't know if this is related.[/QUOTE]

This is very relevant. Please tell us how you took care of the ski after sinking it.

i took it to a Yamaha jetski mechanic who took engine apart cleaned water out and re assembled, also flushed with fresh water and no salt,
    in the process right now of removing the head, will do a rebuild no matter what.

will post pictures of the head tonight.
    thanks for the help

Your compression numbers are real bad. I say get ready for a complete teardown and rebuild. Have you ever done anything to the ski for top end rebuilds?

No more cranking the engine over!

Please reply back with more info and answers.[/QUOTE]

so finally got the head off to find no huge major damage just a little wear on the rings and some black on the #2 cylinder head, all sides of barrels look clean

sadly I don't think this is the problem. will still replace pistons and rings but will have to pull intake and manifold off tomorrow to remove barrels and

look at camshaft and bottom. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2960.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	325686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2963.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	325689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2964.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	325690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2962.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	325688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	325687here is what I found. input would be great. cheers guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information