Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

ET18 or Turbo?? For Offshore Riding

Have been saving & waiting for a few months, to decide whether to go ET18 or Turbo. I am about ready to jump, just looking for a tie breaker from you guys. The ET18 will run the #'s I am looking for, 22# @9250, but the only issue for me is the concern of clutches becoming an ongoing problem & expense. The catch is that I do almost all of my riding Offshore & and know that high boost & big waves are not a good mix.

So now I am leaning more towards going with the H20 Turbo setup. Other than the initial expense, it seems like a better setup. No clutches to ever deal with, and hopefully be able to run 18-20#'s @ 9k or less for around the same performance as the ET18. The only money I have invested in a SC setup so far is an ET18 wheel. I have intentionally waited to buy a a SC shaft, IC/Bov, or any other SC mods until now. Both setups will be run will RRFPR, Spring & retainers, R3 (set for the appropriate rpm range), SVHO 60# injectors, and the Tunnel has already been reinforced. I also have a 160 pump & set of twins looking to go for a spin. I do plan to go forged internals later this year (when $ permits), but do want to start getting the ski up & running now.

So could anyone please give me their opinions or some good info (about clutch issues, Turbo vs SC etc..), so I can finally make up my mind & get this thing moving!
    Last edited by WP3223; 03-31-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    Last edited by Rocketman; 10-12-2014 at 05:17 PM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Well you know my take on it. I dont know anything about the turbo so I cannot speak to it, but my ET 18 with R&D shaft has proven itself be be a great setup. I now have the 2013 clutch, but even with the 09 clutch I was hard on it in the rough water and at about 120 hours I had replaced it with the 2013. So far I have about a year and about 50 hours on my 2013 clutch which has involved lots of practice holeshots, drag racing for fun and at Hydros, and offshore riding. Matter of fact the last time out we rode 70+ mile round trip most of it was as WOT as I could about 8000-8500 (limiter set to 9500) in the rough for a solid run of about 25 miles. I use Mobil1 10-30 Synthetic with OEM oil filter. Hope this helps.

If you are going to be pounding away in the ocean at a clip, then Turbo is the way to go (no Clutch). I torpedoed a Clutch in the ocean on a bone stock Ski. There are those that will say throttle control is the key to long Clutch life in the ocean. But sometimes "throttle control" is hard to do in big waves at a fast pace . . .

I do think the Waverunner is a great product and overall I have been very pleased. But the Clutch is a bit of a concern for me. JB

Turbo is the way to go. Here is an turbo equipped 2014 FX SVHO.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213312

i think a ski with an offshore setup is going to need alot more than a ET18 to be competitive.if you got the dough cant go wrong with TURBO + REFLASH.no clutches boost adjustability on the fly and there will be more torque production at less boost/rpm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hialeahchiko305 View Post
    i think a ski with an offshore setup is going to need alot more than a ET18 to be competitive.if you got the dough cant go wrong with TURBO + REFLASH.no clutches boost adjustability on the fly and there will be more torque production at less boost/rpm.
    What reflash works with h20 turbo kit?

thanks..

you wont find them off the shelf because turbos arent a common application but they do have turbo compatible maps available if you contact them directly.

R&D T-1 Turbo kit comes complete with the reflash and all necessary parts to go with it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjammer121 View Post
    R&D T-1 Turbo kit comes complete with the reflash and all necessary parts to go with it.
    10 grand for a kit to go "85+" no thanks. . . Then you need a bunch of extra stuff for even more $$$ wonder how many of these kits R&D has sold...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information