Thread: gp1200r info

Question gp1200r info

Hi guys, I just bought my first ski a 2001 gp1200r, can anyone tell me how many tanks of fuel I'll get to a tank of oil? And if I ran outta fuel an try starting do u have to bleed the lines or does it have a sensor that stops the line emptying out?

+1
    I'd change it to pre mix, gp1200rs and known for the oil line popping off and if that happens you can kiss good bye to your engine

How difficult an costly is a conversion

+1
    Hello Cottee gp 1200r, 1st let me say Welcome to the hulk. I currently own a 2001 GP1200R ... super fast and a blast to ride. I also own a 08GP1300R, both still use their oil injection systems. Timdog, is somewhat correct in stating that if an oil-injector line were to pop off .... you may blow your engine. However, the injection systems do not fail, .... it is the lines that fail ... they tend to shrink & pull loose from the carb. Normally it is the one in back #3 cyl. You do not have to switch to pre-mix ... but you should replace the oil injector lines (longer) and use very good metal clamps. Now about the amount of oil used to gas ratio, It would take several tanks of gas to run your oil tank dry. The amount of oil used to gas is small. I do however ALWAYS look @ the oil tank by taking the front storage box out and having enough day light you can easily see the oil level. It holds a lot. You can add oil at your desire when you note it appears about 2/3 remaining and you will not have to worry about it. About your fuel empty question ... the tank hold over 15 gals. When you get down to 2 bars indicated on your fuel gage you still have a good 20+ mins or more of fuel .... @ normal cruise speeds. It is not a good idea to run gas tank dry EVER! The restart will be rough.
    Where do you live ? Remember, the GP1200 is a beast and you can do a lot to improve it's performance .... no real limits to how much you can do except $$$ Ha Ha. Good Luck & stay-n-touch.

Thanks for your in put ozarkYamMonster would prefer to keep the oil injection system, do you know what sort of compression I should be getting I pressure tested today an got 108 on each cylinder the gauge I bought wasn't a top of the range gauge... also I'm still not sure if I've bought a dud ski as I've never owned a ski before I tried to organize a ski marine service centre to meet me when I purchased the ski but they got held up an couldn't meet me so I had a quick start an listen and a look over the ski probably with a stupid look on my face cause I didn't know what I was looking for is there anything else I can check or test to make sure I have been stooged??? plugs are a brown color, compression as above, smoked pretty bad when I started it, I've been reading threads but a lot of them contradict the others so it's leaving me slightly confused... help

+1
    Cottee, sorry about the confusion you may find on this site. There are still a lot of GP owners on this site. That will provide a lot of very good info. A good pressure gage should be around $50 but will pay for it self over & over. The compression for a 1200 depending on the hours on the skis is normally around 115 to 120, your 108 may not be bad if all 3 read near the same numbers. Plugs lite brown in color is somewhat normal ... hard to tell if any issues. The smoking is normal on 2 strokes if been sitting for a time. What history do you have on your ski .... hours, ride use, maintenance, fresh or salt, how many owners. You still did not list where it is you live. Depending on your location ... you may have someone with GP's near you.

Sorry mate I'm from mudgee, nsw, australia.... The ski has 77hrs I'm the 3rd owner the guy I bought it off said he done a full rebuild at 67hrs but had no receipts as he knew the guy who owns the shop near him and he done it cash for cheap the only prof was me contacting they marine guy an asking him but giving they knew each other I'm still unsure if they were truthful or not, he said it's been in both salt and fresh water but always flushed the ski itself is immaculate inside and out, the thing that makes me a bit worried is that he only had the ski for 12 months makes me think he might of sold it knowing there was something wrong before it blew. I had to drive 5hrs to get to the ski for an inspection an when the marine guy couldn't come out I sort of just didn't want to leave with out the ski so handed over the cash an drove off silly I know.....

+1
    Well not sure what you had to pay in Aussie Dollars ... but no reason to get all stressed out (yet). If you could re check compression & compare all three cyl. Does it seem to run strong now ?

Thread Information