Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First ride, three problems, pipe,oil leak,starter bracket...

Well, first ride didn't end so good. Took the ski out today and it ran great for over two and half hours. Plug chops indicate no problems with carbs, pisser working, engine temp felt normal, idling and restarts were on the money. Still smokes a little thru the no wake zones and porposing only at WOT. Other than that, the ski is running like normal. Just a few minutes from the landing I notice my pisser stopped working. After a quick check of everything I found a hole in the pipe. Once I got home, I also found the back of the starter support floating around inside the hull and an oil leak (see red arrow). 50 dollars worth of gaskets and new bolts would fix that, but what about the pipe? Am I looking at an exspensive repair for the pipe if I can't weld it myself?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe hole1.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	19678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil leak1.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	19679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starter support1.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	19680  

+1
    The hole in the pipe is a common problem. It can be welded, but it might be cheaper and easier to pick up another used one.

The oil leak, is coming from the exhaust manifold, so I doubt it is oil. Replace the gasket.

I found the bracket for the starter of my 1996 XP in my hull when I winterized last fall. I left it for a spring project. I was surprised it came off, since there is two nuts and a bolt holding it on. Lots of locktite when I put it back on.

it can be welded

the pipe can be welded. my g/f's ski had the exact same hole on her pipe. a neighbor who welds aluminum fixed it for us for a case of Bud-Light. its a pretty simple weld (if you can weld aluminum) and shouldnt cost that much. check the integrity of the other welded ring too. when that hole happened to us the ski started filling with water internally and almost completly sank.

xp -- yep locktite is our friend ...
    Mr.Dee's -- I can weld, but don't have access to a machine that can weld cast alumium. Have to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I come up with. Hope I can pull off a deal as good as you did. If not, what kinda price range am I looking at for used pipe so I have an idea which way to go.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    The oil leak, is coming from the exhaust manifold, so I doubt it is oil. Replace the gasket.
    If it isn't oil Mike, then what is it?

The gasket just needs to be replaced, and weld the pipe boss if you can. The bracket is a no-biggie to reinstall.

+1
    That is what I get when I try to think when Jen is talking to me.

What are your thoughts on the starter bracket coming off? I thought it was odd.

Well, I guess this part is not cast aluminum, because I was able to weld it up.
    I was able to remove both exhaust gaskets without damage and will reuse them (with RTV)...if it leaks latter, then ya'll can flame me ...
    One of the small bolts broke off and the other two worked themselves free. I'm guessing from the engine/driveline vibrating? Found some spare nuts and re-attached the starter bracket, with lots of blue locktite.
    RQ -- I tried loosing the manifold bolts to change the gasket, but it was a no go...if it doesn't leak too bad next time out, I'll leave well enough alone...trying not to spend any $$$, thinking about getting another GSX...so far cost is 5 dollars for the JB weld.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe repair1.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	19734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe repair2.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	19735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe repair3.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	19736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe repair6.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	19737  

Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    That is what I get when I try to think when Jen is talking to me.

What are your thoughts on the starter bracket coming off? I thought it was odd.
    Ha ha...tell Jen hi and to leave you alone while you post! Hope all is well up there in chilly land.

I've seen the starter bracket vibrate off before. If the starter was replaced and the installer didn't use Loctite blue on the studs and bolt, it would come loose soon thereafter.

Al, if the manifold has never been off then you are probably better off not messing with it. Salt water leaks past the lock washer into the bolt cavity, and the aluminum oxides and the bolt and manifold grow together. BRP later learned to grease the bolt shafts to prevent this. We weren't afforded this luxury though...

Al, on second thought if the gasket starts spewing too bad you might need to replace it. The reason why is two-fold: you may be leaking water into the exhaust manifold which means you will soon squeak a piston, and the other is you lose performance from a leaking exhaust. Two strokes are very scavange-critical, and a big leak will hurt performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information