Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb LOST ULTRA KEYS!! I found a solution to unlock the ECU!!

I posted another thread before on my ski.

Short story: I bought my ski at auction but it did not have any keys. I had no clue what I was getting into with this thing!

I was reluctant to purchase a new ECU and keys due to the cost. I deal with programmable digital controls and knew there had to be a way to unlock these once the keys are gone. I did a lot of searching and I talked to a lot of people who did not want to touch this project.

I also talked to a few people who were willing to try it. By the time I paid for shipping and what they were asking for the service, it was almost the same price as a new ECU from Kawasaki. I found someone located in Australia who was willing to dig into it for a reasonable price.

He asked that I ship him the ECU and whatever new keys I wanted programmed (I bought and sent 2). He agreed that if he could not unlock it, he would ship it back. I figured for $20 shipping, it was worth the chance.

He was successful in unlocking the ECU and programming my new keys to the original ECU that came with my ski.

I am extremely happy with the outcome and the turn-around was not all that bad. Shipping was only 2-3 days each way and he had it unlocked and heading back to me within a few days. I think from door to door, I am right around 2 weeks. Not bad when you consider this thing went half way around the world and back just to be unlocked.

The best part: it was "well under" $250 and included shipping back to me!

This is in no way an advertisement for this person or his business! I am not at all affiliated with him or his business. He is not giving me a discount for this or anything else! I simply struggled for a long time to find a solution for this (very common) issue and I finally found someone who is able and willing to help with it! I do not want anyone else to have to deal with this frustration like I did!

I have a 260x. He said that all of the Kawasaki Skis that use this style key have the ECU secured in the same way and he should be able to unlock them all.

Here is a link if anyone else is having the same issues!

http://ecumeistro.com/

No more new ECU for lost keys!!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedV10 View Post
    I posted another thread before on my ski.

Short story: I bought my ski at auction but it did not have any keys. I had no clue what I was getting into with this thing!

I was reluctant to purchase a new ECU and keys due to the cost. I deal with programmable digital controls and knew there had to be a way to unlock these once the keys are gone. I did a lot of searching and I talked to a lot of people who did not want to touch this project.

I also talked to a few people who were willing to try it. By the time I paid for shipping and what they were asking for the service, it was almost the same price as a new ECU from Kawasaki. I found someone located in Australia who was willing to dig into it for a reasonable price.

He asked that I ship him the ECU and whatever new keys I wanted programmed (I bought and sent 2). He agreed that if he could not unlock it, he would ship it back. I figured for $20 shipping, it was worth the chance.

He was successful in unlocking the ECU and programming my new keys to the original ECU that came with my ski.

I am extremely happy with the outcome and the turn-around was not all that bad. Shipping was only 2-3 days each way and he had it unlocked and heading back to me within a few days. I think from door to door, I am right around 2 weeks. Not bad when you consider this thing went half way around the world and back just to be unlocked.

The best part: it was "well under" $250 and included shipping back to me!

This is in no way an advertisement for this person or his business! I am not at all affiliated with him or his business. He is not giving me a discount for this or anything else! I simply struggled for a long time to find a solution for this (very common) issue and I finally found someone who is able and willing to help with it! I do not want anyone else to have to deal with this frustration like I did!

I have a 260x. He said that all of the Kawasaki Skis that use this style key have the ECU secured in the same way and he should be able to unlock them all.

Here is a link if anyone else is having the same issues!

http://ecumeistro.com/

No more new ECU for lost keys!!
    Im not certain on this but id bet he is just flashing a ecu tune that has a key for it then copying the keys. You probably have someone elses key now.

Sean

That is exactly what I asked before I sent it over. I did not want to have an issue with him flashing a 250 file onto my 260. I am sure they will both run the 260 but I am sure the fuel and timing is slightly different between the two.

I had asked several companies who sell tunes within the US. They all claimed that they were unable to unlock the ECU. I would have been extremely happy to pay for a tune if it also resulted in a usable ECU!

How do they flash an ECU when you send your ECU in? Do you have to send a key as well? Do you send it to them without keys? The ECU goes through a power-up sequence when you first insert a key (it has to verify the key). I would think there has to some way to power-up the ECU and write a definition file without a key.

I am sure you could also un-pot the ECU and physically access the ROM directly if you were unable to rewrite it from an existing external interface pin.

According to his response when I inquired: "I do not touch any fuel or ignition parameters or do a full flash of a generic file."

He also said that if an ECU has a custom tune, it will remain untouched when he unlocks it.

The result is all I am really concerned about here. I now have a working ECU for far less than the cost of a new ECU!

I know others have had this expensive issue and just wanted to put it out there so everyone could benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedV10 View Post
    I think from door to door, I am right around 2 weeks.
    So, you haven't received yet?
    Let us know how your ski runs after starting.

Sorry ... "I think" because I did not note the exact day it shipped and the exact day I got it back. I was holding off on posting until i had it all back together.

It took right around 2 weeks.... Happy now?... lol....

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    So does the ski START now ?

have you ridden the ski yet ?

Waz

Great info and its well appreciated.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I can flash these ecus, I just dont have the aftermarket tunes. You need a special interface to do so.

Sean

+1
    Sounds like the IMMO is defeated. But either way it's a cheaper alternative than purchasing a new ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Sounds like the IMMO is defeated. But either way it's a cheaper alternative than purchasing a new ecu.
    Let's see what he says to below.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    So does the ski START now ?

have you ridden the ski yet ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information