Question New to Polaris, New to PWC, What tools for lake?

I bought a '92 SL 650, got it running like a champ, now I'm gonna need to water test it.

I can only bring a small box of tools, what do I need as a "Just in case"? I'm gonna bring sockets, a plug socket, some matching box wrenches, ??????????

what else?

My ski sounds strong, 130-135 psi on all 3 cyls, but if it bogs in the water what will I need?

Just trying to prepare

+1
    Run it on the trailer in the water at the launch ramp for a bit before taking it out for a spin, check for water leaks and make sure it runs good under load, check cylinder temps. A lot of problems can be caught and avoided at the ramp.

The best thing to take with you when riding is another person with a ski so u can get a tow or ride back easily if needed.

Opinions on tools will vary depending on the person. I like to have a spare set of plugs and wrench, hose pinch off pliers for getting towed. Tow rope and a floating vhf handheld and an anchor.

Edit: almost forgot, I also have a nice telescoping paddle for those special occasions where I find myself up the creek

+1
    If you feel like the ski might give you some problems don't go out alone I would ride with another person.

+1
    All of these skis seem to "run like a champ" on the trailer out of the water. Without the load created with the impeller in the water there isn't much work for the motor to do... With that said, don't get discouraged if it doesn't go so well first time out. Definitely back it in strapped to the trailer like Mig suggested. You can work the throttle with it attached to see how it responds.

Do make sure you upgrade your fuel system and fuel pump before you go out or your first run may not last long......

Did you rebuild the carbs and reset the needles to factory settings??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdaffron View Post
    I bought a '92 SL 650, got it running like a champ, now I'm gonna need to water test it.

I can only bring a small box of tools, what do I need as a "Just in case"? I'm gonna bring sockets, a plug socket, some matching box wrenches, ??????????

what else?

My ski sounds strong, 130-135 psi on all 3 cyls, but if it bogs in the water what will I need?

Just trying to prepare
    Welcome

Do take some time to look through my signature links, starting here.

Keep in mind that every original part on your 1992 watercraft is now twenty two years old! Rubber parts and hoses harden and go bad with age. Bearings wear, gaskets harden.

Sediment can accumulate inside the engine cooling system. The 1992 and 1993 Fuji 650 engines seem to be prone to silt and sand building up inside the cooling system, especially the crankcase cooling area.

The strapped to the trailer at the launch ramp testing is just that, testing. Do NOT take it off the trailer until you have some confidence that the machine is behaving properly.

You do the testing to confirm that the maintenance and preparation work you have already done is correct.

Certainly the carburetors should have been rebuilt with genuine Mikuni carb rebuild kits.

And the fuel hoses should be fresh, along with the fuel filter and oil filter, depending on your particular model.

Check the fuel filler neck and cap for hairline cracks or degraded cap seal.

Spark plug wires should be trimmed back about a 1/4 inch and the spark plug caps screwed back onto the wire ends.

All this and more is outlined via my signature links.

Do not ignore the jet pump. There are seals and bearings in there. Worn or rusted bearings can fail at any time. It is not difficult to rebuild the jet pump with new bearings and seals.

Only after you have done all the recommended work and checks, then you go to the launch ramp.

At the ramp, you make sure the hull is tightly strapped to the trailer front AND rear. Back it down the ramp until the jet pump INTAKE is submerged. Make sure there is no debris or loose rocks underneath the jet pump intake area.

Set the parking brake on the tow vehicle. Now you can start and run the engine for as long as you need. You can apply throttle, test steering, etc.

With the engine running you can take the seat off and observe the engine area. Look for anything that should not be. There should be zero water coming into the hull. Look under the drive shaft for possible dripping.

There should be no smoke or steam inside the hull.

Apply some throttle while watching the engine. It should move a little (the engine mounts have rubber so they can flex a little) but a broken or loose engine mount will let the engine move excessively.

After the engine has warmed up you should be able to put your hand on any part of the engine for at least a few seconds without burning your skin.

This exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure on testing on the trailer, didn't know if it would push it around. I've got my tools lined up, now need a test ride buddy in North TX.

A few quick replies, I have replaced every fuel line/fuel filter from in the tank back. I'm waiting my mukini fuel pump (with 3 outlets) to arrive. from the previous owner I have proof of new engine mounts, new wear ring, redone NGK plug wires, jet pump rebuild, water hose adapter kit (all from 10-13).

K447 I had found your site and already bookmarked it before this post, too cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131219_160221.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	325848

I rebuilt the carbs with mukini kits, ran good before, slow to start, now starts immediately and purrs

I have NOT changed an oil filter, I didn't even catch if it had one in the shop manual. Does the 650 Fuji have one?

Also should I say nuts to that and get the oil pump plate and switch to premix?

I am missing the breather to goes to the flame arrestor, and have considered buying 3 single arrestors/filters

Would motor pic help?

Thanks for the responses folks

+1
    Get one of these for a flame arrestor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Polaris...2d01d5&vxp=mtr

Many members like the oil pumps as reliable as long as the lines and clamps are updated and tight. There is an oil filter from the oil tank in line to the oil pump, similar to the fuel filters.

also I've been crazy good about following the shop manual in regards to dry start, water on, water off, kill engine (under 90sec). And I did my first marine upholstery by recovering the seat (I figured if I could do a Conv top on a 2000 Mustang). Very Proud

Name:	20131202_172647.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	325849

Also I need some HydroTurf
    Last edited by Jdaffron; 04-02-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: I got all click happy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	325850

That Polaris SLT 780 part is an upgrade from the stock 650 original flame arrestor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	325850

That Polaris SLT 780 part is an upgrade from the stock 650 original flame arrestor.
    And a pretty good price at that!!

Thread Information