Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

ran into a problem changing exhaust filter 300x

This is my very first time attempting this. The problem I ran into was putting the 4 14mm bolts back on the downpipe. They will thread in most of the way then they get hard to turn.. Not even bottoming out or touching the downpipe flange yet..

I don't wanna man handle it and end up breaking it off.. Anyone have this happen? Thoughts?

Oh and here are a few pics of my filter at 32 hours fresh water use. Recreational riding. Be careful with those gaskets they are finger slicers lol

Thanks in advance for the help guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140401_173314764.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	325778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140401_173309276.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	325780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140401_173420581.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	325781  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tommydale View Post
    This is my very first time attempting this. The problem I ran into was putting the 4 14mm bolts back on the downpipe. They will thread in most of the way then they get hard to turn.. Not even bottoming out or touching the downpipe flange yet..

I don't wanna man handle it and end up breaking it off.. Anyone have this happen? Thoughts?

Oh and here are a few pics of my filter at 32 hours fresh water use. Recreational riding. Be careful with those gaskets they are finger slicers lol

.You are dealing with aluminum it will strip pretty easy.be easy. You might try a proper size tap and clean the threads really good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommydale View Post

.You are dealing with aluminum it will strip pretty easy.be easy. You might try a proper size tap and clean the threads really good.
    Thanks.. Yes that's why I stopped where I was and posted this thread.. All 4 bolts are acting the same and they've only been taken out once. Anyone have the same problem?

+1
    Hmmm..you sure your gaskets are lined up evenly on both side of filter for the bolt holes ?

And like Jeff said clean bolt threads and the inside threads on manifold side...

Banned User
    +1
    I've stripped them out before, had to heli-coil blah blah. Always put a dab of anti seize on them now. You could try using it a lubricant and do the whole in/out and see if you can get them to thread in but a tap is prob not a bad ideal

+1
    sounds very odd for fresh water use, guessing you have inserted them without the drop pipe installed and measured the gap, i always buff them off and apply antiseize, make sure you dummy fit the filter and spin it side to side as i have had a few where the welds foul on the sealing surfaces.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    sounds very odd for fresh water use, guessing you have inserted them without the drop pipe installed and measured the gap, i always buff them off and apply antiseize, make sure you dummy fit the filter and spin it side to side as i have had a few where the welds foul on the sealing surfaces.
    I actually had everything "butted" up where it should be at the mating surfaces.. The problem basically my being in a rush.. So after a little cursing and a few beers I came back to tinker with it some more. Luckily I got the 3 bolts out that were being a PITA without breaking any, but the threada were FUBAR.

I took some WD-40 and cleaned the threads on the header pipe. Used my one good bolt to work in and out and cleaning the hole again after going in ¼ turn at a time.. Long story short I got all the threads cleaned out on the header pipe and now I can turn all 4 holes by hand til it bottoms out..

So hope my screw up will be informative for someone new out there doing their own filter.. Make sure you clean those threads good before trying to tighten the bolts back And use some anti-seize when you do. Just take your time, if you're in a hurry just do it another time.

I took some pics of the 3 bolts I screwed up and a few of the exhaust filter ( better pics ).. Hope this helps someone prevent making my mistake in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140402_022135393.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	325822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140402_022325371.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	325823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140402_022402002.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	325824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140402_022417929.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	325825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140402_022453547.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	325826  

+1
    i guess some of us are more fussy than others. there's no way in this life i could work on my ski without covering the hydroturf matts. they look pretty mucked up for only a 32hr ski looks like you pulled a fair amount of aluminium threads out of the drop pipe, i hope there are enough left to hold the required torques. still cant workout how you did it!!! even if you did rush it, did you cross thread them? btw i would remove that belt cover and shelve it whilst your at it.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    i guess some of us are more fussy than others. there's no way in this life i could work on my ski without covering the hydroturf matts. they look pretty mucked up for only a 32hr ski looks like you pulled a fair amount of aluminium threads out of the drop pipe, i hope there are enough left to hold the required torques. still cant workout how you did it!!! even if you did rush it, did you cross thread them? btw i would remove that belt cover and shelve it whilst your at it.
    Yes the ski needs a little cleaning on for sure.. Idk how it happened but they weren't cross threaded at all.. They went almost all the way to bottom out then they started being hateful. But by the time I realized what had happened it was too late.. I got everything back on with new bolts and it went back on perfectly.. I could thread them in most of the way by hand.

Why do you say remove the belt cover?

+1
    easier for maintenance and to keep clean and check of its condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information