Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Any idea what happened? Flywheel tooth chipped/wear

Well earlier last season I heard a faint ticking/tapping sound coming from the s/c rear air while slightly above idle. Thought i was hearing things. Thing rode smooth, never any noise once rpms were up. Then my buddy heard the motor while at a dealership for other things and said what is that horrible noise. Was like a chatter coming through the s/c. I wasnt sure if I was hearing things or not.

So advice from the Chicago boys was to take the PTO off and look for chipped flywheel teeth. Attached is what I found. Chips on the starter gear side of the sc drive gear. And wear on the face of the tooth as shown. Nothing else obvious in the PTO. Maybe 1 spec of metal in the back oil pump screen. Back oil pump was all scratched up. I did see some small metal pieces in my oil filter right before I winterized the ski. But I had to ring the filter out and look at it like a accordion to see this. Wasnt like big chunks just blaring out at me. So I also just took the front oil pump off and found some good sizes curlies and flakes up in that screen and the front oil pump is scratched up also.

Next step I guess is to take the bottom of the engine case off and look for bearing wear which I am expecting...

Anyone got any ideas yet of what happened? Was it the flywheel that slowly gave out on me or did something bigger pass through the flywheel gear? This weekend or so I will be taking it farther apart.

Also after all that my s/c gear still looks new. So I wasn't expecting any wear on the flywheel but apparently I was wrong.

Obviously some metal runs through the system as the start gear is bathed in oil that gets circulated through. And I would hope the oil filter is the first thing after the starter gear oil but maybe it runs through the motor first then the filter?

Motor has about 125 hours on it. Mainly cruising hours. Little wot here and there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140329_203928.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	325782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140329_203956.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	325783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140329_204001.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	325784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140329_204011.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	325785  

+1
    Have you owned this ski since new? My first thought was maybe a prior supercharger failure?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    What year ski are we talking about here, and what charger are you running in it? There have definitely been some changes to flywheel manufacturing - hardening process through the years.... and not for the better!

The metal you see missing will either be found in the oil pump screens, or the oil filter before heading to critical areas of the engine. Generally at worst.... you'll just find your oil pumps trashed.

+1
    2008 Rxp. Has a riva xx. And yeah I bought it new. Never had a sc failure or issue.

+1
    What's the gear on the Supercharger look like? The one that engages the flywheel? post up high res pictures and do you notice any weird wear marks on it.

How many hours on the ski with the XX?

+1
    Id say the xx has maybe 20 hours on it or so. The sc gear looks good to me.

I can try to get a picture later tnt.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    What year ski are we talking about here, and what charger are you running in it? There have definitely been some changes to flywheel manufacturing - hardening process through the years.... and not for the better!

The metal you see missing will either be found in the oil pump screens, or the oil filter before heading to critical areas of the engine. Generally at worst.... you'll just find your oil pumps trashed.
    Yeah I was thinking maybe the hardening wasnt hard enough or deep enough. Maybe just case hardenend and once a little piece let go or a chunk from the starter side got In the teeth mesh and then slowly kept eating it away

+1
    The chips are out of the back of the Super Charger drive gear, Is the starter extending too far and hitting the supercharger gear?
    I see the starter drive has some chips that look a lot like the damage to the Super charger gear.
    Extend the bendix and see if its going beyond the start gear and hitting the supercharger drive gear.
    Knocking off the back of the teeth and then the chips get crushed between the supercharger gear and drive gear.

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    I had the same issue with a 08 RXTX...with a XXX charger.....My bet is high slip numbers....

+1
    The spring washers on the bendix may not be installed correctly.....they should look like this: ()

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information