Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2008 RXT-X Super Charger Removal Help

Hey everyone I have a 2008 RXT-X Super that needs to be rebuilt. Problem being previous owners stripped the back screw. After spending a week going at it and getting no where the decision was made to grind off the old stripped bolt. This is fine but the Super still won't come out. I have tried a bunch of things but nothing is working.

Has anyone had issues just sliding it out. I saw mention of someone having a SC welded to the Engine housing since it cooked it self.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by TechIsCool; 04-01-2014 at 11:41 PM.

If you grinded that bolt head off and took off the 2 bolts in front the sc should slide right out with a little wiggle. I took mine out for the first time a couple weeks ago. I did it by feel on the front 2. If you want spray wd40 between the sc and the block. Let it sit for about 5 minutes then try to wiggle it out.

+1
    If your motor is heavily coroded with salt water, you may need to use a small pry bar between the PTO housing and the charger..BE CAREFUL, it is all aluminum and can be damaged if you are sloppy. Also try to twist the charger side to side while pulling.

By the way, did you make sure you removed the correct 2 bolts on the front???

Quote Originally Posted by My_IS-F View Post
    If you grinded that bolt head off and took off the 2 bolts in front the sc should slide right out with a little wiggle. I took mine out for the first time a couple weeks ago. I did it by feel on the front 2. If you want spray wd40 between the sc and the block. Let it sit for about 5 minutes then try to wiggle it out.
    I wish it would wiggle just straight out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    If your motor is heavily coroded with salt water, you may need to use a small pry bar between the PTO housing and the charger..BE CAREFUL, it is all aluminum and can be damaged if you are sloppy. Also try to twist the charger side to side while pulling.

By the way, did you make sure you removed the correct 2 bolts on the front???
    I think it is corroded and yup got the correct 2 bolts facing toward the rear.

+1
    Maybe something in this link will help:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

Quote Originally Posted by smkondwtr View Post
    Maybe something in this link will help:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403
    Thanks for the link I have already read all 11 pages nothing really helpful. Except the one mention of another user having issues.

+1
    Try wiggling/rotating the SC housing about the impeller axis to free up the rust corrosion, it's what I had to do. First there was zero movement, then a tiny amount of wiggling, then a bit more rotation, then once there was a decent amount of wiggling/rotation about the axis, you should be able to pull it straight off.
    If you're comfortable with it, gently hit the housing with a rubber mallet to initiate rotation.

Banned User
    +1
    The stripped bolt is preventing him from wiggling, even with the head cut off, the shank is still present...

Quote Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
    Try wiggling/rotating the SC housing about the impeller axis to free up the rust corrosion, it's what I had to do. First there was zero movement, then a tiny amount of wiggling, then a bit more rotation, then once there was a decent amount of wiggling/rotation about the axis, you should be able to pull it straight off.
    If you're comfortable with it, gently hit the housing with a rubber mallet to initiate rotation.

So I got it off. Last night I ground off the bolt on the other side making the decision that it had to come off. It would not give at all and than just a little bit and after 30 minutes with a hammer and a piece of wood beating on it as hard as I could it finally moved about 3/16 out. I employed another person to put pressure between it and the motor and did another 15 minutes of beating it and it came out...

It would seem that the last owner thought it was going to come out and glued, sealed or caulked it in... WTF

Picture for everyone to see what they did.

Banned User
    +1
    Looks like they used right stuff to seal it in...Clean that off.

HOWEVER, looking at the area the bolt was....DAMN! You might be needing a new rear housing!

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information