fzs sho....how bad?

dont want to ruffle any feathers but a friend of mine just talked me out of a 2010 fzs...he told me they have bad supercharges on them...not worth the risk...I'm curious how many blow up? is there anything to look for before this happens? Is this one of those reputations that are unfounded and blow out of proportion? I was really wanting an FX as I've heard they are better in rougher water but was getting what I thought to be a very good deal on the fzs...7k for it with 100 hrs....thanks for any help!!

Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    dont want to ruffle any feathers but a friend of mine just talked me out of a 2010 fzs...he told me they have bad supercharges on them...not worth the risk...I'm curious how many blow up? is there anything to look for before this happens? Is this one of those reputations that are unfounded and blow out of proportion? I was really wanting an FX as I've heard they are better in rougher water but was getting what I thought to be a very good deal on the fzs...7k for it with 100 hrs....thanks for any help!!
    I'm curious to know what he told you would be better lol..

The supercharger is not the issue. It's the supercharger clutch. They are known to go bad depending on how you ride. Upgrade to the 2013 clutch and you'll have no issues.

If you like to ride the limiter and stay full throttle when jumping out of the water then you may encounter issues. But that's pretty much the only problem an FZR had prior to 2013. Sea Doos live in the dealer, ask any service rep, Kawasaki has a few known issues as well.

If you get a VXR you'll never encounter an issue. Change the oil and you good.

3. +1 by:

+1
    dont want to ruffle any feathers but a friend of mine just talked me out of a 2010 fzs...he told me they have bad supercharges on them...not worth the risk...I'm curious how many blow up? is there anything to look for before this happens? Is this one of those reputations that are unfounded and blow out of proportion?
    It's pretty hard to ruffle feathers on this board.
    Most of the supercharger issues are due to modified skis that are moving faster than the speed the manufacturer intended. Don't get me wrong, they can fail/wear like any clutch, but they don't "blow up" and it's usually not a major event. Here's one with 500 hours in the ocean and zero issues; can you find any stock PWC supercharger by ANY manufacturer that beats this anywhere on the forum?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213118

I was really wanting an FX as I've heard they are better in rougher water but was getting what I thought to be a very good deal on the fzs...7k for it with 100 hrs....thanks for any help!!
    The FX hull design will provide a smoother ride in the rough, ask for a test ride and judge for yourself. We have two FZ's at 250 hours each with zero issues and very low maintenance. Yamaha quality speaks for itself. Yamaha is so confident in their product they have put their money where their mouth is and stepped up with a certified pre-owned program; can you find ANY other PWC manufacturer that has done this?
    Last edited by YoYamma; 04-02-2014 at 08:01 PM.

+1
    Any supercharged ski you find is going to come with it's own set of problems, you wont avoid that. I hate these gear driven superchargers but they are a small risk when the reliability of the engine is tippy top..

Quote Originally Posted by Jmfmk3 View Post
    I'm curious to know what he told you would be better lol..

I'm pretty sure it was year that was the problem...first it was they were good, then in maybe 09 or '10 they were not good, now they are good again? make any sense?

The supercharger is not the issue. It's the supercharger clutch. They are known to go bad depending on how you ride. Upgrade to the 2013 clutch and you'll have no issues.

Whats a ballpark price on clutch upgrade?

If you like to ride the limiter and stay full throttle when jumping out of the water then you may encounter issues. But that's pretty much the only problem an FZR had prior to 2013. Sea Doos live in the dealer, ask any service rep, Kawasaki has a few known issues as well.

I've had seadoos for the past 5 or 6 years and never any issues but have had the supercharger ceramic washers replaced, just as insurance..

If you get a VXR you'll never encounter an issue. Change the oil and you good.
    What do you all think of the price? its a real nice looking color combo black/yellow...is it an ok/good deal or a great price? thanks for replies!!

+1
    My uncle's 2010 FZS supercharged has 250 hours on it....stage 1 running strong with no issues.

The 2012s had rough go. Yamaha upgraded the spragg bearing in the clutch and they started sheering the teeth off instead of slipping the spragg. 2013 they sorted the teeth out and the spragg is the weak link. However they have had much better results with the 2013 clutch set up then both the 2009 and 2012 versions.

My 2009 clutched lasted just over 50 hours each and caused no engine damage. I ride hard in mostly choppy ovean waters. I then installed a 2012 and a gear dampener and had terrible results. No problems with the 2013 gear set.

If upgrading you must also replace the idler gear as the tooth count has changed to allow bigger teeth. Jerry has kits in his store for $649.

Trying to get you a link to it but having issues on my phone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    The 2012s had rough go. Yamaha upgraded the spragg bearing in the clutch and they started sheering the teeth off instead of slipping the spragg. 2013 they sorted the teeth out and the spragg is the weak link. However they have had much better results with the 2013 clutch set up then both the 2009 and 2012 versions.

My 2009 clutched lasted just over 50 hours each and caused no engine damage. I ride hard in mostly choppy ovean waters. I then installed a 2012 and a gear dampener and had terrible results. No problems with the 2013 gear set.

If upgrading you must also replace the idler gear as the tooth count has changed to allow bigger teeth. Jerry has kits in his store for $649.

Trying to get you a link to it but having issues on my phone.
    Here is the link
    2013 + Yamaha Clutch Kit with Drive Gear Assembly

I'm at 70 hours of variable riding conditions with no issues.

I'd take a Yamaha Supercharger over seadoo any day.

Yes they wear out, but if you are riding in rough conditions try to either keep the ass end hooked in the water or if you get airborne let off the throttle.

That is a fair price, just make sure you go over everything like any other ski.

Thread Information