Broken Intake Grate - 2004 FX HO

I broke two out of the four grate bars on the water intake grate on the bottom of the ski. The ski still runs fine, but kinda worried about sucking something up into the impeller.

Should i be worried about this?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	95 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	325895  

Shreveport, LA
    That is some salt water damage the Huh? I wouldn't be worried about sucking anything up just it breaking more. Replace imo

Central Florida
    Replace it.

Did the broken parts go through pump and impeller area? Replace grate an ck out rest of driveline.....

Figured i woudl let everyone scratch their head before i posted how this happen. Long story short, ski was docked in a shuttlecraft. We beached the shuttle craft to unhook the waverunner. If anyone is familar with the shuttle crafts, you use a ratchet strap to secure the rear of the waverunner to the craft. Unhooked the ratchet strap from the shuttle craft and *placed* on the rear deck of the waverunner. When the waverunner was put into reverse to back out, somehow the ratchet strap rolled into the water, ratchet part sinks to the bottom (only 3' deep) but the strap floats under the ski, over to the intake.

Can you guess what happens next?

By the sound of the BANG! we heard, we had thought we blew it up. It stopped the motor immediately.

Luckly(ha), after moving it over to the beach and tipping it on it side, we saw that the strap got wrapped on the drive shaft which reeled in the ratchet all the way up to, and smashing the two grate bar. The ratchet was lodged right where you see the broken grate bars (didn't go any further) and killed the engine by stopping the driveshaft from turning.

If it made it through, would have been pretty bad.

We took the grate off on the beach, cut away the strap, and incredibably, it was fine.
    Last edited by ky3232; 04-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Atleast it didnt happen at full throttle or in massive traffic....replace grate and look at surrounding hull area for cracks...

Thread Information