Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar Power

Solar Power

New addition to the SuperStock boat. These race boats are many times started and stopped multiple times without being ran long enough to fully recharge what the starter took out of the battery. A partially discharged battery loads the charging system heavier and thus creates a higher parasitic drag on the engine as it charges it, and slows the boat down.
    This solar charger is waterproof, coated with a tough clear epoxy, has a controller which prevents overcharging, a red led that blinks on the controller when its doing its thing, and puts out 13.7 volts with just a fluorescent light over it. The more light, the faster the led blinks. Charges 350ma which is around 3/8 of an amp. So while towing or sitting in the pits waiting to make a pass, you can be assured your battery will be in top shape. And hey its even the right color! Simple mat cut out and install HD vel-cro for mounting and its a super solid mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	044.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	325898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	045.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	325899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	046.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	325900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	047.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	325901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	048.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	325902  

+1
    That is awesome! What a great device for anyone who rides alone too! I want one!

+1
    Ross that's a great idea!

+1
    perhaps a link to get one

lots of clever enginuity gone into this boat.nicely done !

+1
    I want a sonic boom. Still available?

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Dammm this is some crazy stuff. Good one Ross

+1
    After having a dead battery a few times at the line I would definitely invest in one of these. Nice idea Ross !!

Thanks guys, I realized what a problem charging a battery can be at the world finals 2013 when I forgot and left my vipec grounded for 5 hours while sitting on trailer in the pits, and had no way to charge it without running the engine. Ski ran slow that day too.
    This is a pretty simple install, and its surprising how little light it takes for it to make voltage.
    Model I used is a solar pulse SP-5. They are all over ebay.
    I counted last speed alley event I had 10 engine starts by the time I made 2 passes. Several of them engine only ran for less than a minute. Meanwhile we sat on the water for close to an hour, battery could have been recharging with this setup while waiting my turn.
    That 12.73 on the voltmeter is battery voltage with only a fluorescent lite on it. Nice little static voltage bump since we all know the most you ever get from lead acid battery voltage is 12.6 at best, usually in the 12.4-12.5 zone.
    Bryant pm me for more info on that ok.
    Morgan City here we come!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    ... This solar charger ... has a controller which prevents overcharging, a red led that blinks on the controller when its doing its thing, and puts out 13.7 volts with just a fluorescent light over it. The more light, the faster the led blinks. Charges 350ma which is around 3/8 of an amp...
    I would be interested to see the measured voltage and mA numbers when in actual sunlight and connected to the electrical system.

Was that 13.7 voltage measurement without a load connected?

Regarding parasitic engine load from charging the battery during 'maximum performance' moments. BMW does an interesting thing on some car models. When the go pedal is on the floor the alternator is (at least partially) shut down, not charging the battery. All the engine power goes into acceleration. The catch for a watercraft is that the engine electronics must be calibrated to work properly despite having (the slightly lower) battery voltage to work with.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information