Limiter or cavitation?

When I set the bow down with the VTS, set in SPORT mode and hit the holeshot I can't decide if I am feeling the limiter bouncing in /out or if it's cavitation.

Is there a simple, easy way to tell?

I don't feel it at any other time.

My peak RPM's show at 8474 and I still have the stock ECU & programming so a 8040 limit. Is it really possible that even for a blink of a second I could reach so far over limit?? Does this answer my first question??

thoughts ......

+1
    Yes it does spike way higher than that stock, I saw 8600+ unhooking in the rough when I was stock I am sure all the other guys that ride ocean see the same!
    Have you had a look at your wear ring and prop?
    Last edited by Aussiepauly; 04-04-2014 at 02:17 AM.

+1
    Sure is possible, my limter is meant to be 7650 but often see 8000, which is the max my dash will show.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiepauly View Post
    Yes it does spike way higher than that stock, I saw 8600+ unhooking in the rough when I was stock I am sure all the other guys that ride ocean see the same!
    Have you had a look at your wear ring and prop?
    Prop n wr look ok, as far as you can tell without pulling the pump n looking up close. Plan on pulling pump n putting in new prop n SS wr when I do the pump rebuild mid season. Want to gather some data first from other winter mods.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    it could be your wear ring or just coming unhooked.. a grate will help that.. R&D is what I have on mine..

usually with the tune my ski from a idle will shoot up to around 8300 ( I have seen as high as 8700) for a few seconds then drop to mid/hi 7s until the speed catches up with the prop..

didn't start having issues with cavitation until around 140 hours with the wear ring that now has 157+
    getting changed when I throw the new prop in a few weeks..
    Last edited by Pony Racer; 04-04-2014 at 04:15 AM.

On a Seadoo 4-tec, instantaneous peak RPM is commonly about 4-500 rpm higher than the nominal revlimiter. When running stock ECU, it most commonly happens when the throttle body is near 100%, the ski is under about 60 MPH and the pump suddenly comes out of the water.

Andy

Regarding the cavitation question......

With a stock ski on flat water and the trim set to the middle position, on a throttle stab from a 4 MPH idle, the motor should sweep from idle up to about 7500 RPM over about 3 sec.

If you get a jump to 8000 or so and stays there for several seconds and then it settles back to about 7500 then you have cavitation.

This sequence of events is a little different as you get to the more violent motored skis.

Hope this helps

Andy

+1
    If you’re going to replace your prop and wear ring I would recommend getting a R&D anti cavitation pump seal.. Installing was easy and it works great.
    Last edited by myown1manarmy; 04-04-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling

Quote Originally Posted by myown1manarmy View Post
    If you’re going to replace your prop and wear ring I would recommend getting a R&D anti cavitation pump seal.. Installing was easy and it works great.
    Already in my box of goodies!!! Bought one from Jerry a few weeks back in prep for pulling pump, but good to hear you recommend it.

Just fitted one on to a non S3 2008 RXT for another GH member, was a but tight to get the pump seated, but there's no air gonna creep in there!

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    Regarding the cavitation question......

With a stock ski on flat water and the trim set to the middle position, on a throttle stab from a 4 MPH idle, the motor should sweep from idle up to about 7500 RPM over about 3 sec.

If you get a jump to 8000 or so and stays there for several seconds and then it settles back to about 7500 then you have cavitation.

This sequence of events is a little different as you get to the more violent motored skis.

Hope this helps

Andy
    Thanks Andy. Great to have quantative data to reference against. I'm trying to mod in stages and understand the impact of each change to build up my knowledge. It would be so easy to throw everything on at once, which would be fun but I wouldn't know which part affected which part of the performance.

Thread Information