Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gpr questions

Gpr questions

How's it goin guys. I'm new to the forum and a new ski owner! I've rode motocross and 4 wheelers all my life so im hoping i will catch on fairly easy. So I just got a 04 gp1300r. I'm pretty pumped about it! So I've done my research but just have a few questions to clear some small things up. First, I believe it already has a d plate. There's a stainless/aluminum looking washer in the pipe and my cat sensor is unplugged. Checked the electrical plugs back left side of ski but there's 2 back there. One black one that ends basically to a butt or loop that I'm assuming the cat was plugged into. This must be the chip for alarm. And a white one that goes further down the exhaust that is still connected. Does this sound correct? I was tempted to pull the exhaust apart to know for sure but figured I'd try here first before I spend at least an hour pulling it apart haha. Second, I know this one has been talked about very much but I haven't seen what people actually like more. Wave eater clips or the rpm ones? The rpm ones def seem to be stronger but will the wave eater ones actually fail to hold this small of a pin in place? I won't be doing any crazy mods just wanting to get this thing more reliable and have preventative maintenance. Also..is it worth doing the new couplers and springs at the same time? What's actually wrong with the stock ones other then them flexing more then the aftermarket ones? Do the oem ones have a chance of breaking or do people do the aftermarket ones mainly for the valves opening up more evenly for more power?
    Thanks for any info! Hope this thread will help other newbs like me! HHahaa
    Thanks, Matt

+1
    That does sound correct for the d-plate, the white one should still be connected and then the black one should just be a little "chip" that plugs in and goes no where.

+1
    As already mentioned it sounds like you already have the D plate and chip. The waveeater clips work fine, and I recommend replacing the couplers because the stock ones are plastic and get real sloppy over time. When they dont all move the same, one valve can drop lower than the rest or not open the same as the rest. As far as the RPM products, I have seen their couplers and they are real nice. They are a full aluminum piece with allen screws to lock to the shafts. I prefer them over the waveeater couplers but I understand they quit making them. I have also seen a RPM design coupler which is just an aluminum collar that you use with the stock couplers but I havent ever installed a set.

+1
    Hey Matt! welcome to the Hulk!

i've used the waveeater couplers, but i assume my servo cables where just a little bit off;

When you connect the powervalves real tight ( thats what you want, see above.. ) and your cables are off, like i probably had,

The couplers will find a way to hammer free, and so are the powervalves, but those will hammer down until they hit a piston.

Like said 1000 times before; take powervalves seriously, and be sure your servocables are spot on!

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm going to order the w.e clips and couplers soon then! When I put the new couplers in do the power valves need to be re adjusted? Does the kit come with good directions or is it pretty self explanitory? I need to pick up a service manual I suppose. Lol I took the ski out for my first ride last weekend. It was a blast! Everything ran great. For some reason only the left side pisser was going when riding. The right side came on once for like 2 min but thats it. What does the right side do? I didn't overheat once. Checked motor several times. Intake grate was clear all day so I know it didn't clog up with anything. And when I flushed it at home the left pisser was going as we'll but nothing on right side.
    thanks, Matt

+1
    Hi offroadin89, and welcome to the hulk. The info that Rich, @ WFO is giving you is right on. He is the "go-to-guy" for Yamaha GP's. You did not mention where you live & will ride?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroadin89 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys! I'm going to order the w.e clips and couplers soon then! When I put the new couplers in do the power valves need to be re adjusted? Does the kit come with good directions or is it pretty self explanitory? I need to pick up a service manual I suppose. Lol I took the ski out for my first ride last weekend. It was a blast! Everything ran great. For some reason only the left side pisser was going when riding. The right side came on once for like 2 min but thats it. What does the right side do? I didn't overheat once. Checked motor several times. Intake grate was clear all day so I know it didn't clog up with anything. And when I flushed it at home the left pisser was going as we'll but nothing on right side.
    thanks, Matt
    left front pisser comes from the exhaust manifold and should pretty much always shoot water... the right side comes from the rubber boot between the U pipe and stinger and rarely squirts when at idle... only really works when under way.

Here is a pic of the waveeater stuff installed. You should not have to mess with the cable adjustment for the valves
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2552.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	326348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2553.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	326349  

Thanks! Seems like a great and most active ski forum out! I'm in Bradenton fl! Anyone nearby let me know. I'm down to ride amytime!

Ok sweet. Thanks! I know these are complete newb questions but I have zero expierence with Jet skis. Am I safe to rev the ski when it's hooked up to the hose flushing everything out? I just let it idle last weekend to be safe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroadin89 View Post
    Ok sweet. Thanks! I know these are complete newb questions but I have zero expierence with Jet skis. Am I safe to rev the ski when it's hooked up to the hose flushing everything out? I just let it idle last weekend to be safe.
    you can rev it a bit, but the motor will be unloaded and real rich on the trailer. I wouldnt zing it too much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information