Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

yamaha dealer can't fix my waverunner

ok so originally it was a carburetor problem and it ran decent for a couple hours after that, but definetaly seemed a little down on power and needed a little fine tuning. Then they said the motor dropped a power valve and they rebuilt the engine. Now the rebuilt engine does the same thing. It revs up to about 4000rpm boggs down and it can't get out of it's own way. What else could it possibly be? I'm leaning toward it being a clogged cat this whole time which is probably what trashed the engine originally. It said they water tested the ski on the receipt. I'm assuming that means they took it to the lake and ran it or do they have some kind of test tank they put the jet ski in at the shop to "test" What should we do about getting this fixed cause I don't think the dealer knows how to fix these things.

It's a 2002 Yamaha GP800r.

im 95% sure its blocked cat. I took my ski out and it drove fine for 5 hours then wouldn't go past 4000rmp. took it to my Yamaha dealer and they said they were to busy to fix it but took it off trailer onto the little ski things for me and let me use all there tools in the shop and do it there. greatest dealer ever. paid $220 for the plate and the gaskets from them to. im nearly 100% sure that is my problem.

+1
    This is why I always say you have to most to gain or lose with your own ski. These guys really don't want to work on older skis that they can't read codes on. Most if the time, if it's outside regular maintenance and typical fixes, they are lost. I would say to also check the compression first, water box for clogs, the coils or plug wires, or an exhaust leak.

+1
    The Gp 800/r didn't have a cat I have read. Just the Gp1200 and 1300 had one.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    without a tank, they won't be able to really fix it, shops that have to send techs down to a body of water to test charge a fortune or don't want the work at all.

I routinely turn away guys that show up with 3 or 4 standups jammed in the back of a pickup truck. My buddy takes me down to the dock sometimes on his water test required repairs ( boat shop) and I get paid a pretty good rate for being a helper..but it's painfully obvious one guy cannot do this alone.

too much non-paying work to deal with those and when they plead, I just tell em they will be on the clock every moment and by the time I'm done, they should just buy some running skis and not let a backyard tommy try to "tune them"

so where is this dealer??..no doubt members would like to avoid them if possible

you'll find most dealerships can play the "ten year rule" these days..if it's over ten years old..we won/t/can't/don't work on em.
    Maybe a good idea for a business..since these older skis that have been hacked up over the years end up becoming money pits which the owners abandon.

guy comes in for a starter..then it turns into a bendix, then it turns into a oil pump drive, then a CDI job and the cdi is no longer available.

I'm out $400 in parts and labor.

this year I want HALF down before I start working on ANY pre 1998 model year ski. I don't want any more junk at my shop. I'm already in trouble with the wife over a few of these yard queens I've accumulated.

I'd certainly check the muffler for cloggage, then ignition timing..then carb setups

+1
    No catalytic converter on that 800. They probably ran it in a tank, but I doubt they ran it long or hard enough to see the problem

Could be the power valves not opening (servo motor) or could be some fuel restriction. The in tank sending unit is bad about the flap warping and the feed line will grow longer and butt up against the end cap. Did you try to run it on reserve? Pull the choke when it boggs? You can hit the start button and pull the lanyard and the valves should cycle

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    No catalytic converter on that 800. They probably ran it in a tank, but I doubt they ran it long or hard enough to see the problem

Could be the power valves not opening (servo motor) or could be some fuel restriction. The in tank sending unit is bad about the flap warping and the feed line will grow longer and butt up against the end cap. Did you try to run it on reserve? Pull the choke when it boggs? You can hit the start button and pull the lanyard and the valves should cycle
    I'll check all those things tomorrow hopefully. What can we do as far as getting our money back if they can't fix it?

+1
    might want to check the small fuel filters in the carb body for debri! Tommy Jordan

+1
    Has anyone checked to see if the servo motor is cycling the power valves?

Oh I forgot to mention they said they double mixed the fuel. So I'm assuming they added a 50:1 ratio to the gas on top of whatever the oil pump puts out. They said they did this for break in. I've never really heard of this. I don't know of any 2 stroke that you do this to on a new engine. I don't think it would account for this problem though. Maybe I'm wrong though. They did the same thing when they rebuilt the carbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information