+1

Installing 15F engine

I picked up a 2004 15F in the fall that needed engine work. The engine is now back together and we are dropping it in next weekend. I plan to read the manual this week, but I have a few questions and am looking for advice from people that have had this engine in and out. Here are a few questions I have:

1. Does the engine or pump need to be aligned?
    2. What octane should I run?
    3. What is the break in procedure? I have a service manual, but not an owners manual.

What issues should I be aware of when putting in the new engine?

+1
    Someone has to be able to help. Don't make me go over "there".

hello there yes the engine has to line up with the pump but you could do this with feeler gauges .take measurements from top,bottom,left and right of coupling and just make sure they all give you the same reading a 16th of an inch out wont kill you as the rubber cush drive in the coupling can take up the small bit of miss alignment
    not sure of octane levels in america but you cant get less than 95 octane in the UK think you guys get 93 best to use that
    as for running in there are lots of ways to do it but i always go by the book or do what some dealers say five hours not above 4000rpm then five hours at 3/4 throttle this has always worked for me

Check out this url: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm for a good argument for a more aggressive break-in than Kawasaki recommends. That said, the 12F/15F owners manuals recommend much more conservative break-ins. Basicly light throttle positions and low RPM
    s (I think it was 4,000 or 5,000 RPM) the first 5 hours then brief periods of accelleration and somewhat higher RPM's for the next 5.

As for fuel, the owners manual calls for 87 octane regular unleaded. With stock engine and timing, higher octane is a waste of money and puts out less energy per gallon than regular.

Note that the manual also calls for first oil/filter change at 50 hours. Many disagree with this and argue for a change at 2 to 10 hours.

I tried the oil change and break-in pretty close to the Kawasaki recommendations and got clean oil out at 50, 100, and 150 hours and no oil consumption. That said, at 200 hours, my 12F is still getting faster and stronger, so you could either say "see, I didn't run it hard enough to fully break it in, or see, it's still getting better, It'll probably last 2000 hours. " You choose. Anyway, it hits 56 and occasionally better on the GPS and beats FX 140's pretty easily.

Good luck with your 15F!
    Last edited by SkierBob; 03-30-2007 at 12:08 AM.

+1
    If I didn't touch the engine mounts in the hull, should I have to shim anything to align? I wouldn't think so.

if you havent touched the mounts i would just put it in IMO you would be safe enough to do that thats what i would do

+1
    The engine is in and running, no problems. I can't wait for some decent weather to go riding. If you guys ever need info on this, let me know.

Mike

Thread Information