Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Different questions about the Seadoo RTX-X RS 260

Hello Guys!

I know that you guys may have answered some of my questions somewhere else on the forum. My dad and me is completely new to the PWC world, we began to research models and prices one week ago. I have been searching for some info on the model we have been looking at the : Seadoo RXT-X RS 260 2013.

And then you may say that, that not is the "boat" for us and our experience. We have been talking to our dealer, and talked about our needs. We came to a conclusion that the RXT-X ,would be a great choice. I would like to add that we have been having a boat as long as I remember, so we have respect for speed and the dangers that follows.
    Some of the things we discussed was our needs in a jet scooter. We would use it for:
    - Primary : Slalom/waterskiing/wakeboard towing for a 1-2 hours (not over 35 mph), when we do not want to put the boat in the water.
    - We will not we taking it out just to race 2-4 hours
    - We would like to take small trips on sunny days with the whole family (3 persons) we will be traveling under 50mph.

My dad's main concerns is:
    Fuel economy - I read about the fuel consumption when riding wild and fast to be about 15GPH. What can I expect to use when waterskiing under 35 mph for 1-2 hours?
    Minimum water dept when launching from trailer?
    Estimated yearly maintenance? - can we get some estimated numbers from your experienced rider

One of my concerns:
    In the USA I think PWC's is limited to 68-69mph, where in Europe(I am from Denmark) I have heard that both from our dealer and the web, that PWC's is limited to 72mph= 117kmh. Do you have any input on that? Is it true?

The sentences marked with black is the question I would like answered in this tread. Sorry for my bad English
    Thank you very much guys! I hope I didn't waste your time, even though the questions may have been asked before. As said we are totally new to PWC's, and it is confusing getting introduced to the PWC world.
    Have a nice day!
    - Soeren(50 years old) and Emil (15 years old)

+1
    I wouldn't be concerned with the ski not being "the boat for you". The learning curve is fairly simple on these water crafts in my opinion. It isn't like learning how to ride a motorcycle on a sport bike. You could always use the learner key until you're accustom to the ski. I'm assuming the new RXTs come with those? I have not yet owned one.

If you're considering a benefit of the ski being able to substitute it for the boat for water sports, you will be disappointed. You can feel a skier pretty well while towing them. Wakeboarding behind a ski is fine if you're teaching someone how to ride but almost pointless otherwise. The wake isn't big enough to do anything.

This is technically a "performance" ski so if you don't plan on using that aspect of it, you may (your father) be spending money needlessly on the ski.

You can fit 3 people comfortably on the ski. However, maybe you should convince your dad to buy two Sparks for the price of one RXT-X so that you can have your own ski to ride? That's what I would do if I was 15 years old... This leads into your next question.

The fuel economy is bad. When you hit about 42 MPH and that supercharger kicks in you will sip through gas like no tomorrow. This is another case where it may be better to think about a Spark which will use much less fuel. Also be aware that the RXT-X will require higher octane fuel (premium). Is that hard to find where you will be riding? Take that into consideration. I have to plan my day around gas stations sometimes for that exact reason.

When it comes to launching the ski, as long as you can get it in the water without the ski hitting the bottom you are fine. Don't run it in water less than one foot deep though.

Yearly maintenance can vary. That supercharger needs to be rebuilt every 100 hours or two years. That is a costly requirement. That is an even more costly requirement if the ski has a suspension which you have to lift in order to remove the supercharger. Labor hours at a dealership aren't cheap. I'm assuming you won't be tinkering with your new ski by yourselves. Other than that, you should do an oil and filter change at the end of each riding season and have the ski winterized for the off season (depending where you live). You should contact your local dealership to figure out what they charge for these services.

I am not sure if skis in other countries are restricted at different speeds. You speak (well, write) English well. Good job.

+1
    Emil a gtr 215 will do every thing your wanting
    for the first family pwc the rxt is overkill

+1
    I d buy wake 155. it does all u want with low fuel consumption n low maintenence costs. water depth must be over 3ft to be safe it won t suck something.

We have a Searay 185 sport(4.3 V6 220hp) and wakeboard Tower for when we are going to do watersports all day long and for when i want to do tricks on the wake.

Is it bad for waterskiing when equipped with Tower and Cruise control? It has a almost perfect wake for slalomskiing.

How about running in eco mode? Can it pull a skier then?

Fuel: what can i expect in numbers by doing speeds around 20 and 30?

our dealer said they once had, had 4 person behind their rxt.

i also want to mention me and my dad love to be fast and hate to get let behind by some smartass.(in Denmark we dont really have powerboats and tuned skis)
    i think the fastest boat in my area is 130kmh.

so a fast ski is a plus for when it is time to go fast(when i turn 16 i will be using it too)

price diffrence from the lower models you guys mentioned is around 1250$ Which my dad wants to pay if we get a faster ski.

Tow abillities, fuel Economy and maintiance is important.

+1
    I m a bit confused now. in 1st post u wrote u won t exceed 50mph. now u write u want to go over 130kmh. what is exactly u want?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilSonne View Post
    We have a Searay 185 sport(4.3 V6 220hp) and wakeboard Tower for when we are going to do watersports all day long and for when i want to do tricks on the wake.

You'll enjoy that much more for watersports. You most likely won't even want to wakeboard behind the ski.

Is it bad for waterskiing when equipped with Tower and Cruise control? It has a almost perfect wake for slalomskiing.

Are you talking about the ski? They don't have towers.

How about running in eco mode? Can it pull a skier then?

The hard part about using eco mode while pulling a skier, wakeboarder, wake skater, etc. is that the power band changes so it can be difficult to pull them out of the water easily. I use sport mode.

Fuel: what can i expect in numbers by doing speeds around 20 and 30?

​It is so hard to say. I doubt anyone can give you accurate numbers for that.

our dealer said they once had, had 4 person behind their rxt.

You can do it. But how fun is it going to be? Also remember that the dealer wants to sell skis.

i also want to mention me and my dad love to be fast and hate to get let behind by some smartass.(in Denmark we dont really have powerboats and tuned skis)
    i think the fastest boat in my area is 130kmh.

If you want speed you can get the 260 but it goes against your other wants and wishes (fuel economy and reliability).

so a fast ski is a plus for when it is time to go fast(when i turn 16 i will be using it too)

I don't blame you there.

price diffrence from the lower models you guys mentioned is around 1250$ Which my dad wants to pay if we get a faster ski.

The GTR, probably. The others? That seems far off. The Spark should be drastically less.

Tow abillities, fuel Economy and maintiance is important.

Then you don't want something with a supercharger.

I see why you are confused, my fault.

Well..
    We will be using it for slalomskiing - that does not exceed 35mph(quick trips 1-2 hours)

But sometimes, as guys we would take it out for an hour to go fast!

As said we have a boat with a fair fuel economy (best cruise: 27.3 mph = 6gph Top speed: 56mph =16.8gph) - how would the RXT compare?

And yes i think you can equip it with a tower - just like the Wake 155 (our dealer said) - but that is extra equipment.

I am 187 lbs, and experinced to get up. Our current boat dosent have an instant "pull up" so i think i will be able to get up.

The ski is going to be a guy thing, we will be using the SeaRay for the long and nice days on the water, and for when dad and mom really wants to do some watersports. But i think with the power of the ski, it will pull both me and dad.

As said the ski is handy early in the morning for the 2 hour slalom ride on glass water conditions.
    And for fun when we wants to go fast.

+1
    then buy the rxtx260rs. top speed 70mph=112kph. with tow post.

It is the RXT-X RS we have been looking at, for this "watersport-capable" toy besides our boat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information