Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

96 slx electrical help

I have a 96 780 that fried the stator and wiring harness. So I got a new stator and wiring and when I went to pull the old wires of the pins inside the electrical box the pins started pulling off the board, there was a lot of salt and corrosion inside the electrical box, so I went ahead and got a new box. We'll now I have everything hooked up ( I think ) and only have power at the main power wire coming from the battery. One thing I was unsure about when I was swapping the new electrical box is which wire if any wire goes to the reset button on the. Right now all I have is the red wire and one open terminal on the reset button inside the box. I was just looking over a schematic and it looks like maybe there is supposed to be a red/purple wire on that open terminal? Also is there anything I need to do to turn the ski on to turn it over? The gas tank isn't in the ski, I just want to turn it over to check for spark. Thanks

We'll I plugged the red/purple wire in to the reset button and now the mfd comes on, but it still won't turn over or trim up and down.

On the smaller fuse I don't have power on either side of the fuse if that means anything

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SledNeck9129 View Post
    On the smaller fuse I don't have power on either side of the fuse if that means anything
    We'll I plugged the red/purple wire in to the reset button and now the mfd comes on, but it still won't turn over or trim up and down.
    The small fuse is for the bilge pump. The Trim and the bilge pump are only powered up when the engine is running and the LR module activates the Orange wire.

When you press the Start button (lanyard in place) do you hear the solenoid inside the electrical box make a heavy click/clunk sound?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The small fuse is for the bilge pump. The Trim and the bilge pump are only powered up when the engine is running and the LR module activates the Orange wire.

When you press the Start button (lanyard in place) do you hear the solenoid inside the electrical box make a heavy click/clunk sound?
    No noises when I hit the start button, I also noticed that when I hit the reset button it doesn't move at all, like maybe it's stuck

I went back out and looked at the reset button, the white button is pretty much sitting flush and you can push it down a tiny bit. But now I'm only getting power at one side of the fuse and nothing at the mfd, does anyone know what size fuses those are?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I went back out and looked at the reset button, the white button is pretty much sitting flush and you can push it down a tiny bit. But now I'm only getting power at one side of the fuse and nothing at the mfd, does anyone know what size fuses those are?
    It is normal for the 'reset' push button to be flush with the threaded body of the circuit breaker. You should disconnect both wires and verify that the circuit breaker measures zero ohms between the two terminals. Sometimes these circuit breakers fracture or corrode internally.

Fuses can be tested using an ohmmeter.

REMOVE the fuse, set your multi-meter for continuity or low ohms. A good fuse will read zero ohms and full continuity.

See my signature links for a LOT of useful information, including detailed fuse info a where to buy replacements.

The long MFD fuse is rated 250mA (1/4 Amp). Do not substitute a larger rated fuse.

The stubby bilge fuse is rated at 3 Amps.

Tip: double check that the battery cable polarity is correct. Bad things happen if the battery positive is connected backwards.

+1
    Be sure that you have connected the grounds properly. The stator ground should be connected to both halves of the electrical box. No click at the solenoid if you don't. You will get power to the MFD if you only run the stator ground to the box half with the circuit board.

See this thread for step by step wiring: Start at post 68: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=193805&page=7

Cool, i will try that tonight. I checked the fuse and it read OL. Im going to go back over all the grounds also

+1
    If the fuse read OL on the meter, it likely means it is blown...... The more important question is what blew the fuse....?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information