Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pump rebuild hrs?

Assuming you're running a stock 260 and there's been no water ingress into bearings, how often should you rebuild the pump?

Also, is there any downside to moving away from packing grease into cone and using oil instead. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Thoughts???

+1
    I rebuilt my '12 PX at 100hrs (15 months old) and it looked great. Had I known it was in that good shape I would of waited longer. I already ordered the parts and had everything apart so I figured screw it and just replaced everything. I would replace/inspect everything at 24months old or 150hrs if I had to do it again.

Banned User
    +1
    IMO, its a tough call on hours...or if the seal is bad.

When you rebuild, and want to switch to oil, that is the time...

Oil gets the front and rear bearings, unlike the grease...

I switched to oil when I rebuilt mine. I use only about 1/3 cup of synthetic gear oil...

i rebuild mine every 100- 125 hours and every time it looks good inside. as for oil i use royal purple synthetic 75-90 about 2.5 ounces give or take. grease likes to get slung out of the bearing unlike oil that bathes it.

+1
    Oil added to mine......

Is it ok to clean out the grease from the 12mm hex and cone, and replace with synthetic gear oil, or must you remove the whole bearing / shaft assembly and completely clean down everything?

Just wondered if there's any compatibility issues with gear oil against pump grease??

Banned User
    +1
    What I did for a buddy was I cleaned out the cone completely and wash it down with some mineral spirits/solvent washer...Then did the same thing for the bearings, just let it soak for a few minutes, then rinse it out...I let it air dry for a little bit...

Then I measured (using an old measure cup) 1/3 cup of gear oil...poured it all into the cone. Holding the cone up, I installed it into the pump (with pump facing up)...Once I had it pushed in past the 2 orings, I turned the pump over and set it on my bench...Installed the 3 screws.

When done I turned the pump on its side, spun the prop a bunch...waited, made sure there were no leaks...Put it back in the ski.

As for any grease residue, if its rinsed out with solvent, the oil should dissolve it...I would run the ski on one trip...then remove the oil and put fresh stuff in. This should eliminate any chance of grease left...it won't harm anything though.

The trick to uninstalling, is to take the pump out...takeoff the 3 screws...THEN, stand the pump up on its end, cone side down...I just open my vice so that the cone sits between...Wait 5-10 minutes, all the oil should be in the cone...Pull the cone off, I usually set it in an old water bottle that I cut the top off...Then put a paper towel over it.

+1
    As Danny had stated clean the anti cavatation cone out good..BUT when it comes to the bearing i would just wipe it out the best you can and avoid putting solvent into the bearing cavity..My reason and thinking is if you have solvent or any kind of cleaner that isnt cleaned out it can break down your fresh oil you put into the pump...The grease will eventually mix with the oil,they do not counter act each other,matter of fact some individuals choose to run half grease,half oil...Me,i run straight oil,.I recommend the first fill with 3 oz of oil...after that 2 oz is all you'll need...Reason for 3 oz. at first is so the oil has a chance to soak into the bearing,once soaked it will only require 2 oz after to be considered full....

+1
    How can you tell that the jet pump area needs rebuilding?? Cause i've been having problems with my jetski hitting my rev limiter out the hole is this because of this??

+1
    Ever sinse last year i thought it was my impeller that's why i'm about send out my impleller for repitching to new york (speedfreaks racing)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information