Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2002 Polaris Virage TXi Should I get it at $350? Edit - Got it & its missing the EMM.

Been in the market for a jet ski trailer since my father in law gave me his 1997 Yamaha ski. Just needed a trailer to go get it. So I'm browsing on Craigslist and I come across this 2002 Polaris Virage TXi with trailer for $650 (so roughly $350 for the ski alone). Says it needs the EMM repaired or replaced. Should I take my chances or are these ski's prone to malfunction left and right? I know the EMM will be about $600 to repair. I figure worst case I will still have the trailer and the 97 Yamaha ski . I do have a lot of mechanical experience, but have never worked on jet ski's before. I'm sure I can learn. Also have electronics and soldering experience so I may see if the infamous C89 is bad. Anyway, the main question is should I get it, or are they just a bad headache? Thanks!

Also, I bet I can talk him down even more.
    Last edited by jayrod; 04-12-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Some will say they are a headache. It may not even be as serious an an emm. A lot of people blame the emm when they cant diagnose the system.

Yes I have taken into consideration that theres a good chance they are just blaming the EMM. Its not a private owner, its a boat consignment shop that's been around since 1998. I called and he says it will turn over but not start. The previous owner doesn't want to pay for a new EMM. Heres the ad -

NEEDS $600 ENGINE CONTROLER.
    2002 Polaris Virage 135 HP. 57 Hours Since New.
    Trailer Included. Clear Title in Hand.

+1
    If compression is good on all 3 cylinders and it's in good shape then it's a good deal. There is also a guy on ebay repairing EMM's and I think he's got a website now too. Might be a cheaper option than sending one to DFI to be repaired. The TXi's are fun skis to ride and pretty quick with the 1200 engine.

+1
    You have nothing to loose, Check the compression. There are plenty of parts there for a part out. K447 will spend hours helping you out (along with others).

At $350 for the ski, you can't go wrong even if the motor was siezed theres more in parts than $350
    display=$150, seat=$100 Pump=$100 etc. etc.
    Not that I would part it out, they are crazy fun and it could be an easy fix. There is just very little chance of you losing your shirt. you might even find someone there who would be willing to let your borrow their EMM verify the issue.

Sounds good guys. I can see this a very good forum with nice people. I have been on some pretty crappy forums before. I'm not a jet ski expert but 135 H.P. seems like a lot to me on a jet ski. Sounds like an upper class ski to me.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrod View Post
    Sounds good guys. I can see this a very good forum with nice people. I have been on some pretty crappy forums before. I'm not a jet ski expert but 135 H.P. seems like a lot to me on a jet ski. Sounds like an upper class ski to me.
    Welcome

If I may ask, where are you located?

Im in Valdosta Ga. The ski is in Jacksonville Fl. I'm more than likely going to get it Thur. About a 2 and half hour drive but there's nothing in my city to ever be found. Everyone thinks there sitting on gold around here. Thanks in advance for any future help K447.

Banned User
    +1
    We will help you get it running

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information