Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering a new Spark...To tune or not to tune....Warranty Concerns...

So I am not a new PWC user. I have had a half dozen or so and currently own 2 787 powered 2 stroke skis.

They are a blast, but I am constantly worried that I am going to blow one up or be left stranded. My riding buddies are all on big couches and they enjoy driving from one side of the lake to the other, touring if you will.

I am all down for that at the end of the day, but I still really enjoy jumping waves and sliding around like a hooligan.

I think the spark can still be fun and nimble, but also strong enough to blast across the lake for miles at a time at WOT. My Older Sea Doo's would probably stand up to the same abuse, but I don't feel right doing it. I have to peg my 96 xp, to hang with the cursing speed of my buddies GT130SE.

So, I am looking to replace one of my old 2 stroke Sea Doo's with a Spark for enhanced reliability, and fuel consumption.

I like the idea of purchasing a 60 HP model and tuning it to be 90 HP, (Or More) but I am worried about warranty issues that may arise from such tuning.

I don't mind adjusting the tune before any service or warranty work with Sea Doo, but let me pose this scenario to you:

I am out riding my newly tuned spark at 109hp level. Having a blast, when kablammo! Some catastrophic failure occurs with the engine, I thank my lucky stars that I am under warranty and I get towed back. Once on land I re-flash my ECU back to the Stock tune.

At the dealer they see I have a blown engine (assume a major mechanical failure) they connect to my ECU and notice that:

A: The ECU has been read or written to in the past (my previous tune)

B: If all that has been erased, so have my operational habits, Engine running time, RPM windows etc.

If either of the following occur, I am denied warranty coverage and I have to foot the bill for an engine repair....ouch

Scenario B could be avoided if I flash to the stock tune and then drive around to build up a "false" history within the ECU for Sea Doo to read.

Whats the skinny? Is there a way to backup the previous running state info so that when re flashed to stock tune it appears as though it hasn't been messed with?

Please note I am not calling out the tuner as the root cause of any problem, I just work for an automotive OEM and know that if we found evidence of someone messing with our tunes we would immediately deny warranty work, regardless of true root cause.

Thanks for any input!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post

B: If all that has been erased, so have my operational habits, Engine running time, RPM windows etc.

-Chris
    A: they dont see that its been reflashed.
    B: if you erase your history and dont create a new one they it will look strange, still no evidence of a tune.
    A dealer could have pressed the erase button himself by misstake That don´t prove its been tuned.
    (We can also backup data in ecu , but then ecu need to be sent to a dealer with special tools for that)

But I am VERY confident that the (our - VTECH´s )tune itself will not be the cause of any engine failures.
    If some hardware stuff was bad from the factory then anything can happen.

We have however put this engine through hell and back..
    We added tons of ignition.
    We boosted it to 12 psi / 0,82 bar WITH stock compression.
    And much more "stupid things" and we could not break it.
    They "crazy" Australians have beating this thing for months now and its still keep going.

When we do our calibration we don't change the safety features in the software.
    So ecu can still limit power if if feels somethings wrong.

Considering a new Spark...To tune or not to tune....Warranty Concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by VTECH.SE View Post

-Chris
    A: they dont see that its been reflashed.
    B: if you erase your history and dont create a new one they it will look strange, still no evidence of a tune.
    A dealer could have pressed the erase button himself by misstake That don´t prove its been tuned.
    (We can also backup data in ecu , but then ecu need to be sent to a dealer with special tools for that)

But I am VERY confident that the (our - VTECH´s )tune itself will not be the cause of any engine failures.
    If some hardware stuff was bad from the factory then anything can happen.

We have however put this engine through hell and back..
    We added tons of ignition.
    We boosted it to 12 psi / 0,82 bar WITH stock compression.
    And much more "stupid things" and we could not break it.
    They "crazy" Australians have beating this thing for months now and its still keep going.

When we do our calibration we don't change the safety features in the software.
    So ecu can still limit power if if feels somethings wrong.
    So it still pull's timing based on input from the knock sensors (among other things) that's good.

I just know we see engine failures from time to time (80% of our engine failures are 5000 miles or less) I just want some assurance that if I have a failure under warranty, I don't get hosed by Seadoo.

What would a charge be to keep a backup of my ECU data for 1 year after purchase? Feel free to shoot me a PM...

Thanks for your time!

Chris

Depends where you are based.
    You would send it to your closest dealer.
    Not sure how much they would charge to do the read out.
    If your in usa then shoot Jerry a email.

If you're worried I would just use a different ecu then if you have problems, plug the original one back in. Wouldn't that do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by OSDmarine View Post
    If you're worried I would just use a different ecu then if you have problems, plug the original one back in. Wouldn't that do the trick?
    That would do it. What's the cost for one of those bad boys?

I am located in Georgia (USA)

What is the local dealers contact info?

+1

You're close to Tiny then I believe. You could talk to him.

+1
    Just do it !!!

Iam am running the 109 tune and trashed the hell out of it with no issues , just fun !!!

I understand what you r saying about cruzing with the buddies across the lake and upgrading your old skis .
    wondering if it will make it back.
    i have a 90 hp its only about 50 mph . I dont even look at speed as i look at rpm i run it about 6500.
    im hitting 8040 sealevel .
    i dont like keeping it wot for long periods at a time .
    i like my spark but its not for blasting across the lake , it takes the chop pretty good but will beat you cause its light .
    You can grab it one handed the nose from the shore and yank it around So light in the nose !
    Bet you cant do that
    the three seaters r cruzing about 50 as you would be holding it wot to keep up .
    You will always be last The other skis being heavy take the chop so much better .

The spark is very playful i got my spark to go to the lake ,not into wrenching as im going to the lake to play and get away
    i want it to start everytime
    the price is what sold me as i hate four strokes cause they r expensive when they blow
    i can build two strokes and cant rebuild four strokes .
    it is nice pulling up to a pump and not having to mix the gas and oil .
    runs allday on 6-7 gallons of gas very cheap to run .
    my 1200 stx-r with novi carbs luvs the gas burns about 20 gallons a outing adds up quick
    I dont think the spark is a great touring boat cause of the lightness and the speed factor
    but thats my 2 cents worth .
    but i do love it !

Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post

You're close to Tiny then I believe. You could talk to him.
    I figured they were talking about a VTECH tune dealer, to pull and store a save of the ECU's data. As far as OE parts, I can find those without problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information