2001 GTX suddenly dies like pulled lanyard

Hi,

Some help needed please. I have a 2001 GTX. It starts/idles runs perfectly but while out on the water for 0.5 hr - 1 hour it will just die/ cut out, just as if you pulled the lanyard.

It then will make 1 beep.
    After taking out and putting in the lanyard a couple of times, it will then fire up. It may stay going for another hour or maybe 5 mins.

Does this sound like a faulty lanyard??
    What involved with getting a new one ...programming etc. ?

Thanks for any help

Banned User
    +1
    What color are the fuel lines? Grey?

yes fuel lines are grey. Is that a bad thing ?

Banned User
    +1
    Yes...The old Grey TEMPO fuel lines were bad. They would deteriorate inside and clogged the carbs up, starving the motor for fuel...

Remove all the lines and replace them with a good quality fuel line. You can get it from a local auto store, get it on a spool. there are 2 sizes, 6mm and 8mm...

Remove one line at a time, measure it and replace it...All lines, even the vent lines...Don't forget the pulse line down to the block.

Remove the carbs, replace the jumper lines between carbs. Take off the plates that the fuel lines attach to, inside you will find small filters...Remove and clean them, put them back...Reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by ronan1506 View Post
    Hi,

Some help needed please. I have a 2001 GTX. It starts/idles runs perfectly but while out on the water for 0.5 hr - 1 hour it will just die/ cut out, just as if you pulled the lanyard.

It then will make 1 beep.
    After taking out and putting in the lanyard a couple of times, it will then fire up. It may stay going for another hour or maybe 5 mins.

Does this sound like a faulty lanyard??
    What involved with getting a new one ...programming etc. ?

Thanks for any help
    Hold on, you need to give us more info. What model do you have? They made 3 versions of the GTX in 2001, the GTX Ltd with carb 951, the GTX RFI with 787 fuel injected, and the GTX DI with 951 Direct Injected. They all have different troubleshooting procedures.

Its the GTX 951 carbed model . Think twin mikuni carbs (havent them off yet)

Thanks Danny, ill do that. Hopefully it will solve my problem.

Any other help is much appreciated

Well, it isn't likely the carbs. It sounds more like an electrical issue, likely a weak reed switch in the DESS post. Carbs wouldn't give you the one beep, it would just die. Does the info gauge go blank when this happens?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Well, it isn't likely the carbs. It sounds more like an electrical issue, likely a weak reed switch in the DESS post. Carbs wouldn't give you the one beep, it would just die. Does the info gauge go blank when this happens?

Either way, the tempo lines gotta get out of there ASAP...I swapped out fuel lines for 5 skis last year for people, all had gummed up the insides of the carbs. They all did the same thing, ran for 30 minutes then just DIED...Good thing is that they were so clogged they didn't run, because if they barely rand and barely got fuel, then it would have leaned out the motor and it would be game over...

9. +1 by:

+1
    been there done that....Tempo lines gotta go as Danny said! Pull a line end or 2 and if you see green goop your restricting flow and the lines are breaking down, common problem. Irregardless if this is you're problem or not I'd get rid of them. Only other thing I'd add to Danny's outline is clean the front fuel filter bowl and remove the fuel selector and clean it good...prob find that green goop in there. I'd prob do a carb rebuild vs. just a carb filter clean out myself.

Buddy had a Millenium behaving similar to you..rev it and die but gauges still operational. I happen to have an 01 GTX and he swore up and down it's the MPEM..I doubted it. We pulled my MPEM to test it on his...he was right and I was wrong. He needed a new MPEM and problem gone. Don't panic yet take care of the fuel supply first, it's good maintenance anyway.

Sea Dood does have a point...check if gauges are still on when it dies.

Thread Information