Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'97 SPX waterbox regulator leak

Hi, All.

I've been getting the Doo ready for the season and finally fired it up on Sunday and let it run for awhile. After it was running awhile I noticed a pretty consistent (albeit slow) drip of waterer coming from the waterbox regulator fitting area. I have not exactly pin-pointed the leak because of it's location but I do know that I don't really want to work on a part that could potentially fill my hull with water should I get it wrong.

I called a local shop that maintains these machines and was told that this is common on these old Doos. He said that he could try to JB Weld it to stop the leak or, what he recommended, would be to do an "exhaust mod" on this that will make this go away entirely and gain me approx 2mph on the top end. Unfortunately I did not ask for more detail on said "mod" but now in hindsight, I suppose I should have. He seemed like a reasonable guy that knew what he was talking about.

I did some searching and could not find exactly what I was looking for so can anyone tell me if this seems like a standard thing to do on this ski?

Thanks all!

+1
    Well... the mod he is referring to is hard jetting the water circuit in the pipe... and it's a terrible idea for a rec ski in my opinion. I tried it, i hated it. To get the right amount of water to see a speed gain you have to jet it small enough to almost melt it down... it's a disaster.
    More than likely your leak is caused by the clamp around the bottom of the water regulator bellows, they rust and develop problems. Pull the hoses off and that regulator screws right out, take it apart. If it's the clamp replace with a zip tie and rip on. If the top pulls out of the base easily then i hot glue or urethane them because JB weld doesn't stick to plastic hardly at all.

Thank you! Sounds like I really ought to determine exactly where this leak is coming from.

+1
    Yes... more than likely it's from the bottom of the bellows. If you take the hoses off and screw the regulator out of the water box to remove it, then take off the top, then take off the little clamp holding the center in, you can see the bottom clamp easier... they are usually rusty and about gone.

Thanks, thats helpful.

Out of curiosity, why did you hate that "mod"?

+1
    It requires a filter that the algae in the lake is prone to stop up. If you don't use a filter or you let the filter stop up then you melt your pipe down and sink the ski...
    Also after trying several different jets and going to a lot of trouble and expense to get it right it had NO real performance advantage... It was a total and utter waste of time that creates a lot more headaches than a stock seadoo water regulator.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    I'm sure it's it has to do with the "tuning" aspect of it.
    Like he said. "Close to meltdown". Trying to get that right water flow and I don't see how it can be tuned right without some sort of water injection either oem or aftermarket.
    IMO

All good to know. I don't think I would like to sink my ski so I will make the attempt at fixing the water dripage.

+1
    If it's any consolation at all they don't really sink all the way... lol. It gets tippy and you fall in the water and you have some time to get it to the bank... happened to me once...
    If you don't get it to the bank and it totally fills up the nose still sticks out of the water... it doesn't go to the bottom. The subsequent dry out procedure after that happens is quite unpleasant, i never sank one that bad, but i watched it once.

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    If it's any consolation at all they don't really sink all the way... lol. It gets tippy and you fall in the water and you have some time to get it to the bank... happened to me once...
    If you don't get it to the bank and it totally fills up the nose still sticks out of the water... it doesn't go to the bottom. The subsequent dry out procedure after that happens is quite unpleasant, i never sank one that bad, but i watched it once.
    LOL, duly noted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information