Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Race number placement idea

I was wanting to try number plates and while brainstorming came up with this. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010293.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	19740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010294.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	19741  

13xracing - aka 427racing 13xracing's Avatar
    This may sound dumb, but youre not going to run the actual plate, right? That is just showing placement?

Forgot to mention, that's a 10x12" plate so I will be shortening the height by 2" to the minimum rules height of 8".

Quote Originally Posted by 427racing View Post
    This may sound dumb, but youre not going to run the actual plate, right? That is just showing placement?
    No, I want to use the plate, I would like to have removable numbers when I am just cruising since some people in authority have a differant attitude when they see race numbers.

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Looks great just as it is.
    IT won't fall off at all if you use magnets.
    What # are you putting on it?

If you plan on racing the numbers have to be a decal. The plate is not considered safe and having one fly off and hitting some one could be bad. I run my numbers always and Games and Parks are extremely nice to the racers I ride with. We are about the only riders who show responsiblitlity riding and let other rec riders know when they are riding unsafe. (Not that all rec riders are unsafe, just the dumb ones!)
    It really helps to get to know the local law enforcement. They are less likely to hassle you if they know who you are, racer or not. I know 99% of the games and parks at the lakes I ride at and they will bs with you like anyone else and you get to have an insider on things going down around the lakes.
    But back to the plate, abpa or ijsba will not allow for actual plates, they must be stickers. Most guys who don't like the numbers will just buy cheap ones and pull them off after the race.
    Glad to see youre interested in racing though. It will really help you learn to ride with more control and turning bouys is so addictive, that you won't want to do anything else. Going fast and straight is fun, but going fast and taking a turn at 50-60mph is more fun! Just hold on for dear life!

If you look closely at the 2nd pic, the black piece is part of the mirror assembly and the plate will be bolted to this. I am going to retire my current number, 280, since the ski it was on is also retired. My new number will be 282.

Number plates have been deemed acceptable in Region 5 and 10. I can't say for the other regions or at worlds. I guess it depends on the race director.

Your right about the majority of the local law enforcement, unfortunately, we have one individual who has proven the opposite. It doesn't help your cause when some local kid see's your race numbers and breaks several rules while trying to get you to race them.

I am currently racing Pro-Am stock in Region 5 Supercourse. I am not the best out there but I have won my share of races. I am known for taking the inside line and not coming off my ski.

I have never seen a race plate like that, but if it works and the director doesn't care, I guess I'd use it. Good luck with your racing.

http://www.ijsba.com/ijsba/rulebook/2006/rb2006_08.pdf this is a link to the rule book. Chapter 17.11 says nothing of what method the number plate should be mounted. Just that it has to be a certain size and visible.

If you plan on racing the numbers have to be a decal.
    Get your facts right there MR. I'M A WINNER AND A QUALIFIED EXPERT BECAUSE MY TROPHIES SAY SO.

Below is a boat that was run at the Mark Haun 300 mile race from for Noble at that event. She was not disqualified from racing and her numbers were zip-tied not bolted on. Several Super Coarse riders did the same thing. She's now on TeamMoto.

As far as being picked out because of Race numbers. YES WITH OUT A DOUBT, I AGREE WITH YOU. Race numbers in my experience has a stigma that I have found to be a negative aspect. Plus you wont have to go sucking up to "Johny Law" if you have removable numbers. I have found that riding responsible and adhere to the rules works better then sucking up. My friend who won several WORLD TITLES went sucking up and the cop kicked him off the water for not having the proper height on his registration numbers. WE got to ride even though our numbers were the same size. Advice from a MULTI TICKET WINNER is keep your distance. They have a job to do and someone buzzing in his face, making chit chat, aint going to stop them from doing it.

Oh and I think your number plate idea is cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5033.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	19771  

http://www.apbaracing.com/2007_apba_rulebook.pdf

Sorry this one too from the APBA chapter 8.1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information