Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

02 Virage TXi Oil leak

Just picked up my ski from storage and after getting home i take a look inside and notice that there is oil all over the bottom of the hull. I dont recall seeing any oil before i put them into storage a few months back. I did notice oil at the top of the oil sensor cap but that is the only place i see where oil might have leaked. After doing a search I have read that that area is prone to leak. I plan on fixing this with a clamp but can anyone tell me if they have ever experienced this before.

Also, I've been debating if i should sell this jet ski and get me a newer model. I have a 2010 seadoo and love it. This one is just a not as family friendly as my seadoo. I love it, but the wife and kids dont. Plus i dont want to continue worrying about other issues that might arise.

I took it to a local dealer here in San Antonio and they were willing to give me $700 for it. I know they no longer make them but 700, come on! Other than the oil leak that i plan to fix, how much could i get for it if i sell it privately?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Either the oil splashed out during towing to/from storage, or the oil seeped out during storage.

Seepage can happen at one of the hose clamps or possible an abraded or cut oil hose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFrider View Post
    Just picked up my ski from storage and after getting home i take a look inside and notice that there is oil all over the bottom of the hull. I dont recall seeing any oil before i put them into storage a few months back. I did notice oil at the top of the oil sensor cap but that is the only place i see where oil might have leaked. After doing a search I have read that that area is prone to leak. I plan on fixing this with a clamp but can anyone tell me if they have ever experienced this before.

Also, I've been debating if i should sell this jet ski and get me a newer model. I have a 2010 seadoo and love it. This one is just a not as family friendly as my seadoo. I love it, but the wife and kids dont. Plus i dont want to continue worrying about other issues that might arise.

I took it to a local dealer here in San Antonio and they were willing to give me $700 for it. I know they no longer make them but 700, come on! Other than the oil leak that i plan to fix, how much could i get for it if i sell it privately?
    I would guess around $1400 but it depends where you live here in Florida most people wont buy it here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris John View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFrider View Post

I would guess around $1400 but it depends where you live here in Florida.
    The $1400 guess is what it would go for around here in FL check craigslist in your area to see what they are selling for.

Banned User
    +1
    I found oil in the bottom of my MSX project I am working on and it turned out to be the bleed screw on the oil pump wasnt tight enough

+1
    I had oil leak from my 02 Virage I, it was the clamp on the hose that came out of the oil tank. Took it off, replaced it and the leak stopped.

Thanks for the responses! I cleaned up all the oil and it seemed like quite a bit. My plan is to take off all the clamps and replace them and even some of the hoses. I also plan on adding the clamp to the sensor. If i get some time this weekend I hope to take it to the water and run it on the trailer and see if i can spot a leak. I'm crossing my fingers its an easy fix and nothing major.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    was it stored with the nose up?if so the senders at the rear on top of the oil tank will leak,i've put a hose clamp around the plastic nipple of the tank and clamped it there,stopped my oil leaks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    was it stored with the nose up?if so the senders at the rear on top of the oil tank will leak,i've put a hose clamp around the plastic nipple of the tank and clamped it there,stopped my oil leaks
    I looked for a photo of the fitting but I couldn't find one. Mine just pulled out by hand until I put one of Bryans hose clamps around it.

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    It was several months back when I put it in storage and if I remember correctly I raised the front end fo the trailer as high as it would go. I was able to pull the sensor right out without any resistance. There was oil residue at the top of the oil canister and also saw oil inside the coil that covers the hose that runs to the engine. I also noticed a pool of oil on the side of the jet ski next to the oil canister. From the evidence, dont think its coming from the motor which is a really good thing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information