2014 yamaha vx cruiser stability question

I recently purchased a vx cruiser and last weekend I had the opportunity to take my wife and daughter out for a ride. I was caught off guard by how unstable the waverunner was.( The total weight on board was about 180+130+70=380lbs). At idle and slow speed in choppy bay waters there was a strong tendency for the ski to roll and at speed there was a feeling as though I had to nurse it into a gradual turn to avoid rolling. My first thought was that I had taken on water but it turned out to be dry in the bilge.

This is the first year of the new lighter hull and the vx cruiser weighs just under 700lbs. If you combine that with the high profile seat on the cruiser, it starts to make you wonder if the 3 person 530lbs. capacity that yamaha has given it is accurate.
    While I primarily plan to ride by myself there are times that I would like to take my wife and daughter along and now I am wondering if I put too much faith in the numbers Yamaha presents. It would seem to me that the capacities provided would be conservative and not based on ideal water conditions. Bottom line, I don't want to throw my family in the choppy bay with boat traffic all around. Looking at it now I guess the FX model would have been the better ski for me.

I know that the riders on this forum have a lot more experience and wisdom about this than I do so I thought I would come here to see if anyone has any thoughts.

3 people of any size on a vx is pushing it. Two full sized adults cant roll it over with ease. I think for rec riding with the fam, the dealer should have tried talking you into a larger ski...

Living outside of Charleston SC.
    Practice using the throttle (power) to maintain staying upright, best with just one person riding to start with. Of course do it in an open area away from other boaters, shallow water and people. From what I have found is if the PWC starts to lean, turn into the lean and use the throttle to turn the PWC. Then control it back level.
    If you think a VX is tipsy...Try an early Sea Doo XP.

Thread Information