03 GTX limited problems at WOT

Hey everyone

I have a 2003 GTX limited supercharged. It runs fine and everything but if I go wide open it cuts off and does one long beep. I pull the key and put it back in and it starts fine and will run fine all day on half throttle and stuff. I went out on the lake with my daughter and didn't go above half throttle all day and didn't have one problem all day. I drop her off at the dock and wanted to just rip it one time and as soon as I open it up it shuts off and beeps. Normally if I had a problem is just check for error code but when I was in the shop last time having them rebuild the super charger my gauges magically stopped working. The mph and rpm works but the LCD doesn't. Anyone have any advice if appreciate it greatly.

I'd start by taking a look at the DESS post / lanyard plug. Not related to rpm / speed, but maybe the aggression of the hard holeshot pulls the cap just off, enough to stop the motor.

The fact that you get the long tone after the engine stop points me to start there.

Ok cool. I'll take a look at that. Anything specific ? Or just clean it real well on the connector ?

Clean it so that the cap fits square onto the post (there maybe crap built up in the cap that prevents it from sitting square).

It maybe that the rubber of the cap has perished, hardened or split over time and therefore just doesn't fit well.

Push it on and see if it feels secure. If not you can pick up another one quite easy (ebay etc). Remember you will need a dealer (or someone with Candoo / SBT kit) to pair the new key to your machine. Takes 5 mins. They will also be able to read your error codes even if your display has failed.

Cleaning the key doesn't really factor into this situation. Once the ECU reads off the serial number on the key at start, there is no longer any electrical connection to the key. There is a magnet in the key that pulls in the reed switch in the DESS post. It is most likely the DESS post reed switch is getting weak in this situation. Or the magnet in the key is getting weak. If it were my ski I would replace the DESS post and get a new key.

+1
    Dess post/key
    Had that happen on a 09 rxtx..

+1
    Is it Cutting off or going into Limp mode? Check your oil level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Cleaning the key doesn't really factor into this situation. Once the ECU reads off the serial number on the key at start, there is no longer any electrical connection to the key. There is a magnet in the key that pulls in the reed switch in the DESS post. It is most likely the DESS post reed switch is getting weak in this situation. Or the magnet in the key is getting weak. If it were my ski I would replace the DESS post and get a new key.

By cleaning I meant checking the key wasn't full of crap which held it away from the post physically. It might have been just close enough to pull the reed switch but then the slightest movement (holeshot) would break the magnetic hold. I think that's all it can be, as it's the same effect as pulling the key off. It isn't limping or restricting rpm, so it must be a physical break rather than intelligent protection.

Thanks for all the replies! Im going to look into the key and post. And it completely shuts off. It acts as if you just pulled the key.

Thread Information