Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2006 sea doo rxp has been sitting for 5 years

Hi everyone I'm new here and I have a 2006 sea doo rxp with very low hours(cant remember how low have to charge battery to find out) the watercraft has been sitting for about 5 years. It was not property winterized when put away but was kept in a garage all but the last year. I have just now gotten the time to start to get it back in service, I am in need of recommendations on what to do to restore to proper working order, took off the cover and took off the seat the other day all is very clean no visible moisture or damage, oil level is good but smells a little gassey but I am planning on changing that before first startup. It has less than a quarter tank of fuel which I'm sure needs to be drained and I bought a new battery that I need to install. Also I'm concerned about what I've read about valves dropping after long periods of storage, and I also want to replace the supercharger clutch washers as I've read about all the problems with those.

Any help greatly appreciated thanks Ryan

+1
    Swap the battery for a new one, drain the old fuel (and add fresh fuel), change the oil, pull the supercharger and have it rebuilt, change the spark plugs, and then hope for the best. Depending on how bad the oil is, you may consider another oil change after running the ski for a few hours (assuming it runs).

Make sure you let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to what kind of issues you will run into (if any).

+1
    Maybe take the inlet manifold off and have a look at the back of the valves to see if they are corroded . Was it last ridden in salt or fresh water ? I think 06 was the change over year for the valves too . See if you can see the part number on the valve. Plus same as schnorr12 said ... good luck with it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-m31164 View Post
    Maybe take the inlet manifold off and have a look at the back of the valves to see if they are corroded . Was it last ridden in salt or fresh water ? I think 06 was the change over year for the valves too . See if you can see the part number on the valve. Plus same as schnorr12 said ... good luck with it
    i believe it was last ridden in salt or brackish

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by swervin33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-m31164 View Post
    i believe it was last ridden in salt or brackish

+1
    You'd take exhaust manifold off not intake manifold.... Exhaust valves are ones prone to breaking.

+1
    Skis don't like to sit... I haven't had good luck with any ski that sat for more than 3 yrs...

Keep at real good eye on everything for the 1st 5-10 hrs...

Good luck!!!

+1
    Rebuild the charger right away. Get those ceramics out of the motor.

+1
    My dad recently bought an 04 gtx with only 35 hours that sat for about 5 years (garage kept). It started up the first try with the old gas. We had trouble draining out the old gas which was a quarter full so we put more in with some lucas oil to help dilute it. We changed the spark plugs, changed the oil, bought a new battery,and replaced the supercharger ceramic washers with riva metal washers. It's been out twice and so far so good!
    Last edited by Eat-My-Roost; 04-13-2014 at 10:57 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat-My-Roost View Post
    My dad recently bought an 04 gtx with only 35 hours that sat for about 5 hours (garage kept). It started up the first try with the old gas. We had trouble draining out the old gas which was a quarter full so we put more in with some lucas oil to help dilute it. We changed the spark plugs, changed the oil, bought a new battery,and replaced the supercharger ceramic washers with riva metal washers. It's been out twice and so far so good!
    Damn, I'm glad I don't have to do all that to mine every time it sits for 5 hours!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information