Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 XP bog coming off idle

Ok guys, I'm still breaking in my reman 787 in my xp. I'm running premix 32:1 no injection with break in oil. I'm having a nasty bog off idle on acceleration. The carbs have been rebuilt, the entire fuel system is new and I've bypassed my selector switch. Once I feather the throttle and get over the bog it runs excellent on the top end. It doesn't seem to do it right when I put in but steadily begins this, it almost sounds like it's flooding out and will die if I'm not careful. I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this, thanks guys!

I'm also running a primer and no choke

+1
    I would say you need to take a look at the plugs after idling some and see what you have.

Also, look down the throat of the carb. Usually they pump a shot of fuel in through a tube when the throttle is hit to compensate for the flood of air. The main jet just can not react that quick, so the fuel shot covers the gap.

Banned User
    +1
    Is it bogging like it falls flat on its face or is it spitting and sputtering until it clears out and goes? Were the carbs reset to the same settings as before they were rebuilt? Did you use genuine Mikuni parts in the carb rebuild? Which popoff spring did you use in the carbs?

Carbs set dead on specs, OEM parts used original spring. The plugs look wet after idling, they look perfect after a high speed run. It falls on it's face unless I feather it. When I take off for the first blast it doesn't bog as bad like that

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound007 View Post
    I would say you need to take a look at the plugs after idling some and see what you have.

Also, look down the throat of the carb. Usually they pump a shot of fuel in through a tube when the throttle is hit to compensate for the flood of air. The main jet just can not react that quick, so the fuel shot covers the gap.
    These carbs do not have an accelerator pump on them.

+1
    Ok. So I would lean to a carb setting. If your plugs are wet, you sound rich at idle. Be careful with this one not to created a lean condition. I prefer to always run a little rich.

I've also found that my gas tank looks to be over pressurizing. It swells up big and dang near blows the cap off when you unscrew it. Could this cause my bog?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    You have both vents plugged. Or almost plugged. Replace the lines and check valves. Also I would open the carbs and check the filters again. Installing new lines tend to have some junk from cutting them.

Would that cause this bogging down problem? Could I test this by running with the gas cap loose?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information