Hello All And Thank You. Need Opinions. Unknown Project

Hey and thanks for reading. Bought a few skis, and have been reading here for awhile. Great stuff.

After further inspection on my Yam gp1200r. Was pretty sad. From the info. found here I need to complete a few things. The normal. Block off oiler. Wave eater. D plate. Chip. and few other things that im going to do while apart.
    Good compression. 135, 130, 140.
    Loose head bolts 3. And some feel over torqued
    Hose clamp gound in #3 exhaust port.
    All appears factory. exept new #1 piston and cylinder. and a recepit for some bearings wrist pin and clips.

With finding some of these red flags im having trouble deciding wether or not i should go ahead and pull the engine and start over?
    The reason behind the question is this. Good compression on all three cylinders, but visual scaring on two pistons , and the head bolts.

Im not looking for advise. Looking for opinions.

+1
    how many hours?

you could pop the head off and have a peek

Thanks for the response. Only 47 hours. Had the same tought.

+1
    I'd vote fix it up and ride. Low hours, good compression. If you haven't pulled the head I assume you saw piston scarring through the exhaust port only, which is where the powervalves are. That's common, but waveeaters should be on the to do. I finished a rebuild this winter on a 2000 gp1200r in much worse shape and it was worth it. I kept the oil pump with just new tygon lines. Sounds like it had #1 rebuilt and someone decided they were done with it. Do the basics and enjoy. Engine should still have plenty of life it in.

Thanks for your response. Yes the wave eaters are on the list. Yes i believe that some one started the process, without doing any research. which is why i took it down to rebuild the carbs. Diaframs were toast. Probably ethanol related.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyranny View Post
    I'd vote fix it up and ride. Low hours, good compression. If you haven't pulled the head I assume you saw piston scarring through the exhaust port only, which is where the powervalves are. That's common, but waveeaters should be on the to do. I finished a rebuild this winter on a 2000 gp1200r in much worse shape and it was worth it. I kept the oil pump with just new tygon lines. Sounds like it had #1 rebuilt and someone decided they were done with it. Do the basics and enjoy. Engine should still have plenty of life it in.

Thread Information