Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking at buying my first ski

G'day,
    I'm looking into buying my first ski, I was looking for something with plenty of grunt for a biscuit/tube, skier or what ever the bloody hell else I end up towing. I was looking at a Yamaha FX High Output cruiser originally but an wanting to broaden my knowledge over a few brands. I've heard the Yamaha FX is a good ski, plenty of power for a biscuit, and nice on fuel. In the Kawasaki Range, I was looking for a newer model ski, possibly brand new that is equivalent or maybe a bit better without having to spend 20-30 grand on a ski :P. I've also heard through various forums saying that Kawasaki isn't a great brand? This true? What are my options?

Cheeers!

+1
    Would you spend 10k? A kawi 300 low hours would be perfect. I love mine. It's a great brand! A beast of a ski.

I'm looking for a quality, reliable, pretty quick,, 4-stroke that's not extremely hard on fuel

Any ideas?
    I've been offered a brand new 2014 Kawasaki ultra 310x special edition for the same price as a 2007 Yamaha fx high output. Which would be better in the long run without having to do monthly rebuild or fuel it up every 2 seconds? :P

Cheers!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssvinator View Post
    I'm looking for a quality, reliable, pretty quick,, 4-stroke that's not extremely hard on fuel

Any ideas?
    I've been offered a brand new 2014 Kawasaki ultra 310x special edition for the same price as a 2007 Yamaha fx high output. Which would be better in the long run without having to do monthly rebuild or fuel it up every 2 seconds? :P

Cheers!
    somehow I doubt you have your prices or model of skiez correct. Because NOBODY'S selling 310se fir that cheap..
    and the best ski for u is a ultralx 2013 imo

waz
    Cheap to buy.... awsome in the rough......cheap to run.....heaps of storage..

5. +1 by:

+1
    From the Yamaha section it looks like a lot of the new skis are having paint issues. Not something I'd want to deal with because no matter what they do to repair it, it's going to keep flaking.

Just bought a 300X and Ultra LX and both are great. Plenty of pep in the Ultra and rides about as good as a ski can. Seems to be pretty good on fuel, I can cruise 35 a long ways on a tank and gets up and goes when I want it to. 300X drinks more fuel but you can cruise her at 35 and she goes just about as far. Open her up and you better be holding on tight. it really is the top dog out on the water. The 300 won't leave you wanting more.

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssvinator View Post

Any ideas?

Cheers!
    somehow I doubt you have your prices or model of skiez correct. Because NOBODY'S selling 310se fir that cheap..
    and the best ski for u is a ultralx 2013 imo

waz
    Cheap to buy.... awsome in the rough......cheap to run.....heaps of storage..
    Haha yeah it took a bit of dealing and wheeling trading this and that but we've worked out a pretty fair deal for the 310x se.

This basically answered my question. Haha :P

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post

Welcome to the forum; you came to the right place.

My experience with the Ultra LX is wet; you will get 25 gallons of water right over the hood. My neighbor had one for a few months and dumped it for a Yamaha.

Yes, and the Sea-Doos tow the Kawasakis home!
    The Yamahas have proven to be hands down more durable than those others; the thousands of units selected for the rental industry alone proves this. In my experience; Yamahas are known for durability, Sea-Doos are known for innovation; and Kawis are known for, well... seriously, test ride them all if you can, but for your needs I suggest Yamaha.

Quote Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
    (Honda's are out, I rode a friends and it's one wet uncomfortable ride, sucked in bay chop.)
    In that case, you might prefer the Yamaha FX series over the Yamaha VX series. Honda stopped making their watercraft a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
    So if it was you and you had a spare $25k in your pocket to buy two new ski's what would your recommendation be for two mature adults.
    Run don't walk, run to your local Yamaha dealer and ask to demo the VXR and also the FX-HO; they have several variations on these; cruiser seats, etc. so make sure you look at them all carefully, make sure you try them in the chop; make your choice and GO YAMAHA with a 5 year extended warranty. You will not regret this move; I have owned Yamaha marine engines for over 25 years and their track record speaks for itself.

If you check on PWC Trader online you can sometimes find a GREAT deal on 2009 or 2010 holdover units with zero hours; many of us buy our skis this way and save thousands.

As I said, you came to the right place; lots of good peeps here on all the boards at Green Hulk and these guys will go out of their way to help you out. When you buy them come back and post up a photo and best wishes for your search!

+1
    You did the right thing researching all the brands and hearing the loyal brand members explain how great "their skis are"or what skis are lousy .....
    But keep your priorities in mind..
    1)What kind of water cond. do I mostly ride in?
    2) How is it on gas?
    3) What is the true OTD price?
    4)HP for towing and 2-3 riders?
    5) Storage Etc Etc.....

If you spend time here on GH you'll see ALL these skis have their Mechanical issues even ridden recreationally at one time or another as their engines are at times put to extreme test of long periods of WOT ,pounding thru the water many in salt water...

+1
    In my limited time here, I've become nauseated by YoYamma's constant shilling for Yamaha. He sounds like a little kid who has never had a different toy than the one he has but knows for sure that his toy is by far the best. Lots of brand loyalty but he's way over the top. He loves his ski and that is great. But, to think every other ski is junk is a joke. Saying the Ultra is a wet ride is about as uninformed as a person could be. 25 gallons right over the hood.....? Ya, uh huh. What a joke.

Browse the pages (which I did for months before buying a ski) and you'll see what the problems are with each. SD has so many gadgets on their skis there are bound to be problems and for the shear amount of their skis on the water more will be in the shop. But, their superchargers are garbage. Every person who says they're going to be\uy a new or used SD, many people post that the first thing they should do is remove the SC and send it in for new washers..... I'll pass. IBR is the greatest thing on earth according to them but I've never seen the need for Anti-Lock Breaks on my skis or my boat. Again, I'll pass.

Yamaha right now apparently has paint issues on their new skis and the hull is known to crack in big water. Any mods and you should reinforce the pump tunnel.... This is coming from many posts on that section. And, they are all ok with it. I wouldn't be.

The 300 leans slightly left when at idle and that is the big bashing point from the SD and Yammie guys. I can deal with that.

Lots of nice skis out there. Have fun with whatever you get.

11. +1 by:

+1
    There's 4 threads on the first page of the Yammie section about cracked hulls and paint flaking on new skis. Not that I believe everything I read, but many people posting about having the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by nvgtrsprt View Post
    In my limited time here, I've become nauseated by YoYamma's constant shilling for Yamaha. He sounds like a little kid who has never had a different toy than the one he has but knows for sure that his toy is by far the best. Lots of brand loyalty but he's way over the top. He loves his ski and that is great. But, to think every other ski is junk is a joke. Saying the Ultra is a wet ride is about as uninformed as a person could be. 25 gallons right over the hood.....? Ya, uh huh. What a joke.

Browse the pages (which I did for months before buying a ski) and you'll see what the problems are with each. SD has so many gadgets on their skis there are bound to be problems and for the shear amount of their skis on the water more will be in the shop. But, their superchargers are garbage. Every person who says they're going to be\uy a new or used SD, many people post that the first thing they should do is remove the SC and send it in for new washers..... I'll pass. IBR is the greatest thing on earth according to them but I've never seen the need for Anti-Lock Breaks on my skis or my boat. Again, I'll pass.

Yamaha right now apparently has paint issues on their new skis and the hull is known to crack in big water. Any mods and you should reinforce the pump tunnel.... This is coming from many posts on that section. And, they are all ok with it. I wouldn't be.

The 300 leans slightly left when at idle and that is the big bashing point from the SD and Yammie guys. I can deal with that.

Lots of nice skis out there. Have fun with whatever you get.
    As far as Yamaha's go, YoYamma is giving you his own personal testimonial so that is how I would take it. He has had very good luck with the Yamaha brand with first hand experience, so from a Forum standpoint, I think that is a good thing. Overall, I would rate my experience with Yamaha as good (not quite as good as his though).

As far as these crafts go in general . . . a little paint coming off on the bottom of the hull is not a big deal (as compared to other problems you can have). There are endless mods you can do to the Yamahas. Not nearly as many to the 300 / 310 Ultras.

If this is your first Ski, I would stay within the bounds of the factory Warranty though regardless of what Ski you get. This sport is supposed to be fun. And it's NO FUN if you are unlucky with a major mechanical catastrophe! JB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information