Polaris carrier for 1995 Polaris SLT 750

I had a water leak in my carrier around my drive shaft. I seen K447's link on generic bushings and seals, but how do I remove the old bushings??? Or should I just pay the 65 bucks from Watcon and order his kind with the real needle bearings?

Also, When I put my drive back together, do I need to make an alignment bar or can I eye ball it or.......???

Thanks Jason

Banned User
    +1
    Pull the seals out and then push the bushings out. You can use a punch and a hammer to tap them out if necessary.

+1
    The thru-hull carrier is pretty easy to rebuild. Usually you only need to replace the seals on either end to stop the water leaks.

If there is significant slop/wear where the carrier rides on the driveshaft (usually from running dry when all greases washes out) and it doesn't appear to be a badly worn/grooved driveshaft... then it's likely the carrier bushings that are worn and you'll want to replace them along with the seals.

Pop/pry the seals out either end... then stick a long flat screw driver or similar item through the opposite opening and tap on the edge of the bushing (tapping evenly around it so as to not cock-it off) to remove it. Takes some good whacks... but it'll come. Installation is the reverse.

You will not need an alignment tool for rebuilding or replacing the thru-hull carrier. The carrier is mounted to a big rubber hose that gives it all the wiggle room needed to stay aligned on a *properly* aligned driveshaft. It's when you change engines or pull the jet pump base off the hull that you should consider properly realigning the coupler and pump via the alignment tool.

Cheers!

Thanks very much. I actually scarred the corner of the bushings by pushing out the seals with a screwdriver. boo , I will get a punch and try to put the new ones in. So much cheaper. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks very much. I actually scarred the corner of the bushings by pushing out the seals with a screwdriver. boo ,  I will get a punch and try to put the new ones in. So much cheaper. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Information