In the market for a ski

Hello everyone I'm new here my names Eric. I've been reading this forum for the past few weeks now. I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions i got. This will be the first ski I've owned so I'm looking for some pointers. My eyes have been stuck on the 2014 Yamaha FZR. Well my first question here is what are you guys paying out the door all said and done in Florida near the Tampa area also up in SC and GA a lot? idk if im going to pay cash or finance it yet still trying to make up my mind so i would like to see both numbers. The purchase wont made till i get back sate side in late June. How is the maintenance on these to do at home I'm not trying to get raped at the dealer. I was reading some where every hour of run time is 10$ in maintenance. So far from every thing on the forum no one has seemed to have any problems. But maybe i missed something so is there any known problems? Also the Yamaha warranty how is it? there not going to try and [email protected]# me around if something happens?

Thank You

I Would PM Tiny on this forum ,and compare his price to what the other dealers are offering you. He sells for Jet Thrust located near Atlanta.

ok i will thanks

+1
    Kawai I had a 2009 FZR and really enjoyed it, very nice ski. I think you will have a blast on a 2014 just be aware there have been some reported problems with paint quality.

+1
    Welcome to the forums, In my honest opinion and Im sure a lot of experienced riders can tell you dont buy a new ski for your first one. If you are set on the fzr/fzs platform i would go used and try to find a deal which do exist in the used jet ski market. Get some experience and then make the purchase on a new ski. A lot of things will go wrong when you buy your first ski. Kinda hurts to scratch that 15k ski at the dock because your an inexperience rider.

I have bought 3 used skis, all work perfect and saved a ton of money. Either way good luck whichever route you go.

+1
    Like cruiser said! I bought brand new about a year ago. I regret that I bought brand new for my first ski because there are rookie mistakes to be made while learning your ski. Since I made those mistakes with my ski, I will have to paint it. Quite a few scuffs, scrapes, and even scratches from docking.

Kawirider07, have you owned any boats or ridden any skis at all? If not maybe you could rent a ski a few times before buying the brand new one. My 06 Honda R12X was my first ski , and bought new. I have no regrets , but I did have 2 boats prior.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamacruiser View Post
    Welcome to the forums, In my honest opinion and Im sure a lot of experienced riders can tell you dont buy a new ski for your first one. If you are set on the fzr/fzs platform i would go used and try to find a deal which do exist in the used jet ski market. Get some experience and then make the purchase on a new ski. A lot of things will go wrong when you buy your first ski. Kinda hurts to scratch that 15k ski at the dock because your an inexperience rider.

I have bought 3 used skis, all work perfect and saved a ton of money. Either way good luck whichever route you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Like cruiser said! I bought brand new about a year ago. I regret that I bought brand new for my first ski because there are rookie mistakes to be made while learning your ski. Since I made those mistakes with my ski, I will have to paint it. Quite a few scuffs, scrapes, and even scratches from docking.
    This is good advice. Consider it.

Thread Information