Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

thinking about buying a 2000 ultra 150 with 33 hours will it compare to my 785 pro

ok for one my 785 pro is finally running right and i wont let my girl ride it so im gonna buy another ski for me so she can ride with me.

ok so when im riding the ultra will it handle at all as good as the 785 pro?

i have rode a bunch of bigger msx 140 and a few other larger 2 seaters or three seaters and ill just hope in my ski boat if i want something that big.

i know the ultra is top end fast but will it have the low end power of the 785 and all that other good stuff

i really dont like big skis at all.. besides getting back on them after a long day of getting beat up.. thats when it sucks to have a small ski

+1
    Never rode a 785 Pro, so I can't answer your question. I rode a 780 once, which was OK, not particularly fast. The 785 Pro is said to be pretty hot.

Some will say that the stock Ultra 150 handling is squirrely, which can be corrected with a different ride plate and sponsons. I'm used to my stock 150 and I it doesn't bother me.

Yes, it has top end speed; yes it has low end power (not as much as today's supercharged boats, but thrust exceeds weight).

I'm with you, I wish they still made smaller, high-powered 'Skis.
    Last edited by steve45; 04-18-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo: NOT particularly fast

anyone else want to chime in going for a drive Sunday morning about 2 hours away price seems good idk with lakes being so dry in north texas everything seems off from normal...

i know i rode my motorcycles more in jan and feb than march and april and its making me mad!!!!

+1
    The Ultra 150 trim really needs to be set for more Up for it to steer right, too.

How much are they asking? How many hours? Has engine been rebuilt? If so, Kawasaki OEM pistons and rings are the rule on these engines. Also, NO sleeved cylinders. Stick with the original nikasil plated cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The Ultra 150 trim really needs to be set for more Up for it to steer right, too.

How much are they asking? How many hours? Has engine been rebuilt? If so, Kawasaki OEM pistons and rings are the rule on these engines. Also, NO sleeved cylinders. Stick with the original nikasil plated cylinders.
    only 33 hours all original

I know about nikasil plating from my dirt bike days with kawasaki kx 500 I could tell the difference and it runs way funny with the power valves on the dirt bike
    Last edited by wayneb2510; 04-18-2014 at 10:56 AM.

+1
    BUY IT!

Shall do

Anything I need to look for on this kawasaki more than any other ski what should the psi be on the cyls

+1
    The oil lines should be inspected carefully for brittleness and cracks. You should plan to replace them with polyurethane hose. Do NOT mix up they lines! Don't even think about removing the oil pump for pre-mixed fuel!

I'd be concerned about a gummed-up fuel system from lack of use. Ride it on the water, if possible. If not, I'd discount it and plan to overhaul the carbs ($500).

You really need to remove the electronic display and seal the plug on the back with 3M 5200. Otherwise, water WILL get into it and destroy the gauge if you flip it. ($$$$)

I'd buy a replacement fuel gauge sender while they're still available. The fuel causes the plastic parts to warp so they stop working when they get about 12 years old or so.

A primer makes it a LOT easier to start these things when cold. However, do NOT remove the chokes to install primers! The chokes are an integral part of the fuel metering system and it will run uncontrollably lean if you remove them.

The jet pump bearings on these don't last very long. When the time comes to overhaul the pump, make sure to use the later kit with 3 seals.

The gas spring that holds the front hatch is probably rusty and will eventually fail. No problem, but it's best to upgrade to a stainless steel spring.

The 'Ski will handle a LOT better if you modify the trim to give more up. Some people cut the cable, I prefer to make a different bracket for the nozzle and leave the cable stock. Others will recommend the ShredMaster ride plate and aftermarket sponsons.

Compression should probably be 110-120, make sure all cylinders are about equal.

THANKS

will me rebuilding the carbs myself cost me 500 or if i payfor them to be rebuilt

i planned on having to do all the oil lines

i have read bad things of oil lines on the ultra so i guess ill b doing one line at a time to avod any confusion at all..

it looks like it might have sat in a slip not out of the water from pics bottom looks great but its a little yellow ish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information