Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Fenton, MO
    Posts
    10

    New here, looking at our first PWC, need advice

    Hi all, typical newbie post, I'm buying our first PWC this spring, and I need some advice on one I'm looking at.

    There is a 2008 SeaDoo RXT-215 for sale with around 45 hours on it. It looks good in the pictures, and we are going to see it tomorrow. I won't be able to hear it run yet, or even get a good look at the hull since it's sitting on a drive-on lift. It's been in freshwater all it's life. They are asking 6800 with a trailer and generic cover. KBB and NADA say the average price is 6,140 and 6,340 respectively, not including trailer or cover. I'm not sure what would be a good price to offer on this. I've read other posts on here, and responses on prices are usually lower than what I would expect. I guess I'm just used to ridiculous dealer prices on these things. I was thinking of offering 6K and let him counter, does that sound about right?

    Couple things about me, I wasn't originally looking for a supercharged model, but pickings are a little slim right now so I'm considering it, and the price is in my ballpark. I'm mostly getting this for my kids, (teen boys) and I'm pretty sure they don't need 215hp. I don't really care about the trailer because we have a slip and lift at the lake, and I'd rather not have to store a trailer.(and my brother already has one) Plus, I just found out that I might be able to get a Kawasaki something (I think an STX-15F) for a good price from an acquaintance. Slight downside there is that it's been sitting for two years. Sounds like I'm talking myself out of the SeaDoo.

    Thanks for any advice you can provide.
    --Mike


  2. #2
    pummsgtx255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hamburg NY
    Posts
    64
    +1
    3
    the rxt 215 is a great ski but im not sure if i would recommend it as a good "first ski". My son was around my skis at a young age and was always interested in them. when he turned 16 i went out and got him an 2007 gtx 215. its currently in pieces because he wants to go faster

  3. #3
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by mjfrank View Post
    Hi all, typical newbie post, I'm buying our first PWC this spring, and I need some advice on one I'm looking at.

    There is a 2008 SeaDoo RXT-215 for sale with around 45 hours on it. It looks good in the pictures, and we are going to see it tomorrow. I won't be able to hear it run yet, or even get a good look at the hull since it's sitting on a drive-on lift. It's been in freshwater all it's life. They are asking 6800 with a trailer and generic cover. KBB and NADA say the average price is 6,140 and 6,340 respectively, not including trailer or cover. I'm not sure what would be a good price to offer on this. I've read other posts on here, and responses on prices are usually lower than what I would expect. I guess I'm just used to ridiculous dealer prices on these things. I was thinking of offering 6K and let him counter, does that sound about right?

    Couple things about me, I wasn't originally looking for a supercharged model, but pickings are a little slim right now so I'm considering it, and the price is in my ballpark. I'm mostly getting this for my kids, (teen boys) and I'm pretty sure they don't need 215hp. I don't really care about the trailer because we have a slip and lift at the lake, and I'd rather not have to store a trailer.(and my brother already has one) Plus, I just found out that I might be able to get a Kawasaki something (I think an STX-15F) for a good price from an acquaintance. Slight downside there is that it's been sitting for two years. Sounds like I'm talking myself out of the SeaDoo.

    Thanks for any advice you can provide.
    --Mike
    The 2008 RXT 215 would be a fine first ski. Pricing tends to vary depending on season and location. I'd say that $6,000 for that ski is a good price. However, I think those 2008s had the ceramic washers did they not? Someone else should be able to verify that. If so, you'll need to rebuild that supercharger before you even ride it. If they are giving you a single trailer with the ski, you can count that as a $400 value added (assuming it is in good condition).

    With that said, I know we are in the Sea Doo section here but the Kawasaki STX15F is a phenomenal ski, especially for your situation. It is a terrific beginner/first ski and fairly bulletproof. They have good gas mileage (compared to other N/A skis and especially supercharged skis). The fact that it has been sitting for two years is somewhat unsettling. I suppose it depends on the price (which should be less than the Sea Doo) and condition. You'll have to inspect it.

  4. +1 by:


  5. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Fenton, MO
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the info guys, I'd probably be happy with a price of around 6400 for the SeaDoo and trailer, not sure if we'll get there, but it's worth a shot. Maybe I could justify the 400 reduction as the cost of servicing the supercharger. I believe the 2008 models had mostly metal washers, but I have heard some ceramics snuck through, he did say it's never been touched.

    My boys are 13 and 16, so they're probably big enough to control it, and they really aren't daredevils, surprisingly.(too much of their Mother in them. ) One question, he doesn't have the learning keys with it, can they be added by a dealer? I assume it's like a key fob for a car, and has to be programmed in?

    A little more info on the Kawa, I still don't know the model(3-seater), but it is a 2005 and has about 75 hours, asking around 3500, no trailer, dead battery, but close enough to my dock that I could probably tow it there. Hate to buy things not running though, heck even running is no guarantee. It's someone we know, so I'm sure any major issue would be made good. Maybe it would be good to start a little lower like I planned, not like the stx-15f is slow by any standard. I certainly like the idea of spending less money, as long as it's a reliable model.

    We are going to look at both tomorrow, hopefully make up our mind then.

    Thanks, and keep the advice coming...
    --Mike

  6. #5
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by mjfrank View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, I'd probably be happy with a price of around 6400 for the SeaDoo and trailer, not sure if we'll get there, but it's worth a shot. Maybe I could justify the 400 reduction as the cost of servicing the supercharger. I believe the 2008 models had mostly metal washers, but I have heard some ceramics snuck through, he did say it's never been touched.

    My boys are 13 and 16, so they're probably big enough to control it, and they really aren't daredevils, surprisingly.(too much of their Mother in them. ) One question, he doesn't have the learning keys with it, can they be added by a dealer? I assume it's like a key fob for a car, and has to be programmed in?

    A little more info on the Kawa, I still don't know the model(3-seater), but it is a 2005 and has about 75 hours, asking around 3500, no trailer, dead battery, but close enough to my dock that I could probably tow it there. Hate to buy things not running though, heck even running is no guarantee. It's someone we know, so I'm sure any major issue would be made good. Maybe it would be good to start a little lower like I planned, not like the stx-15f is slow by any standard. I certainly like the idea of spending less money, as long as it's a reliable model.

    We are going to look at both tomorrow, hopefully make up our mind then.

    Thanks, and keep the advice coming...
    --Mike
    The STX15F will accelerate to about 40 just as fast as the RXT will but when the supercharger kick in the RXT will take off. The STX15 is impressively fast for a N/A ski. The parts alone for the supercharger service are $328 so you could try and use that to your advantage. Keys are programable. Many people here have their learner key programmed to be a normal key in case they lose their normal key.

    There is cause for concern since the STX15 doesn't run. 75 hours is nothing for that ski though. I would argue that $3,500 without a trailer and not running is too much though. Maybe you could pull a battery from something else to test the ski? If so, it's still going to need new spark plugs. They foul easily in that model after sitting for a while.

    Let us know what you decide.

  7. #6
    ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    Posts
    3,021
    +1
    840
    16 & 14 yrs old may pose a problem with the boat police. In some areas thewy must be older than that to pilot the ski w/o an adult on the ski with them.

    Check local regs to make sure you wont end up with tix...

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    211
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjfrank View Post
    Hi all, typical newbie post, I'm buying our first PWC this spring, and I need some advice on one I'm looking at.

    There is a 2008 SeaDoo RXT-215 for sale with around 45 hours on it. It looks good in the pictures, and we are going to see it tomorrow. I won't be able to hear it run yet, or even get a good look at the hull since it's sitting on a drive-on lift. It's been in freshwater all it's life. They are asking 6800 with a trailer and generic cover. KBB and NADA say the average price is 6,140 and 6,340 respectively, not including trailer or cover. I'm not sure what would be a good price to offer on this. I've read other posts on here, and responses on prices are usually lower than what I would expect. I guess I'm just used to ridiculous dealer prices on these things. I was thinking of offering 6K and let him counter, does that sound about right?

    Couple things about me, I wasn't originally looking for a supercharged model, but pickings are a little slim right now so I'm considering it, and the price is in my ballpark. I'm mostly getting this for my kids, (teen boys) and I'm pretty sure they don't need 215hp. I don't really care about the trailer because we have a slip and lift at the lake, and I'd rather not have to store a trailer.(and my brother already has one) Plus, I just found out that I might be able to get a Kawasaki something (I think an STX-15F) for a good price from an acquaintance. Slight downside there is that it's been sitting for two years. Sounds like I'm talking myself out of the SeaDoo.

    Thanks for any advice you can provide.
    --Mike
    The 2008 RXT 215 would be a fine first ski. Pricing tends to vary depending on season and location. I'd say that $6,000 for that ski is a good price. However, I think those 2008s had the ceramic washers did they not? Someone else should be able to verify that. If so, you'll need to rebuild that supercharger before you even ride it. If they are giving you a single trailer with the ski, you can count that as a $400 value added (assuming it is in good condition).

    With that said, I know we are in the Sea Doo section here but the Kawasaki STX15F is a phenomenal ski, especially for your situation. It is a terrific beginner/first ski and fairly bulletproof. They have good gas mileage (compared to other N/A skis and especially supercharged skis). The fact that it has been sitting for two years is somewhat unsettling. I suppose it depends on the price (which should be less than the Sea Doo) and condition. You'll have to inspect it.
    2007 was the last year for ceramic washers.

  9. #8
    infamous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,036
    +1
    336
    Ceramic washers or not wouldn't the SC still need a rebuild anyway if it hasn't been touched. Just sayin you could still use that as a negotiation point to get some money off.

  10. #9
    jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    374
    +1
    11
    Seadoo GTI 155, naturally aspirated.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Fenton, MO
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

    Regarding the kids, I'm in Missouri, and we boat on LOZ. The regs require that anyone under 14 must ride with someone 16 years or older. Anyone born after 1984(?) must take the boater safety course and carry their permit. Pretty scary huh, we have some loose laws here.

    Well we looked at the 2008 SeeDoo RTX-215, looked pretty decent, a number of scratches and gashes in the gelcoat, mostly above the rubrail. Nothing terrible, considering where it's used, but a little beat up. Wear ring looked okay. Problem is, the owner won't budge off of 6800, and I'm having second thoughts on it anyways. I don't know if I really want the extra maintenance of the supercharger, and the cost of premium gas. He's really not priced that bad for this area, and what he is selling, but I'm just not sure I want to spend that much.

    We also looked at the 2005 Kawa, it turned out to be an STX-12F, and it had similar damage as the SeaDoo, mostly in the front, scratches, gouges, etc. The gauge cluster had some spiderweb cracks in the plastic, not sure how that happens, and the cover was pretty shot too. The tank was almost full of gas that smelled like turpentine, so that would have to be pumped out at a minimum, plus needs a battery, probably plugs, filters, etc. The price wasn't looking so good anymore. If it was near my house, on a trailer, I might consider it for a bit less money, as I could do the work myself, but in someone else's dock at the lake, I'm pretty much helpless.

    Once we got home tonight, my wife dragged me over to look at another 2005 Kawasaki, this time an STX-15F, 75 hours with a trailer and cover, hull was really clean, no damage above the rub rail and minimal below. Asking 5500. I'm thinking I might be interested in it for maybe 4500? Book is around 3900, trailer might be worth 300 bucks(it was a bit rough), couple hundred extra for the condition? Does that sound overpriced? Things just seem to be priced a bit high around here, there's very few in the used market, and the dealers ask ridiculous prices(one has a 2004 STX-15 with 165 hours for $5995.)

    I dunno, we just really want something by Memorial day, and I'm running out of time. I really liked the SeaDoo, but it's more than I need or originally wanted. I like the STX-15F, do wish it was the 2006 instead of 2005, so it had the two-piece seat instead of that giant twinkie you have to wrestle off, but that's a minor annoyance. I've probably got about week left on the SeaDoo, because he has someone else looking at it next weekend, not that they would definitely buy it though. Not sure on the Kawa, he said he hasn't had a ton of calls yet, but it's getting close to summer. I'll probably try to make up my mind in a couple days, just to finally move on with this whole thing.

    Thanks again for the help, I'll certainly be hanging out here more once I finally buy something.
    --Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. NEWBIE.. first post....wow lots of great info here.. i'm looking for my first PWC
    By csrMark in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM
  2. New here looking at used need advice
    By Sqdqo in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM
  3. Looking at 2006 GTX SC, need advice...
    By JetKiller99 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
  4. 2004 STX 15F DO I NEED A NEW IMPELLER? look at picture.
    By 909STX15F in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 11:26 PM
  5. New here Looking to get new Ski Need help?!
    By almost100% in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •