Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Running problems with a stx-15f

I am having an issue with a 04 stx-15f.

When i purchased this ski over the winter, I was told it was taken to a shop and the previous owner was told it needed a new water pump (?) When I got the ski the jet pump and the coupler cover was removed.

So a week ago I inspected the pump and couldn't find anything wrong with it so I reinstalled it. I ran the ski on the hose for 5 min without any issues. We then took the ski to the water and it ran flawlessly, for about 10 min. My son was running the ski ride open when it suddenly died. After it died it would not turn over, only click. It appeared like it was locked up.

So I got the ski home and pulled the plugs and they all looked great and the same color. With the plugs removed I hit the starter button and the ski would turn over very slow. As it was going over it was letting out a hissing sound. I think from the exhaust. The more I worked with it the faster it started turning over. I then reinstalled the plugs and it fired right up.

Another odd observation about this ski compared to others. While idling on the hose the water from the exhaust will stop for 3-4 seconds the dump lots of water then keeps repeating the cycle.

Is it possible to have a clogged up exhaust? Any help is appreciated!

+1
    I would check all of the hose routings.

+1
    The jet pump is the "water pump" for the engine, its possible there is a bearing issue with the pump & that could cause it to lock up, most likely the impeller wedged against the pump from worn/bad bearings. I would check this out before using it again, it may not show up using the hose, but under load in the water it will. This could be why the pump was removed & stated that it needed to be replace, also the stainless steel liner the the impeller fits inside has been know to 'swell' which will cause contact to the impeller & could cause this problem. There probably is some corrosion in the cooling system, what I did with mine was get 1 gallon of vinegar, open the fitting you attach the garden hose too, start the engine & dump the gallon into it, rev engine once, turn off the engine & let sit overnight, next day flush with the garden hose & look at all the white corrosion that comes out with it. There is a small cooling manifold under the intake manifold that is known to clog, this can help clean it out, but if its clogged tight it will have to be replaced, did your son notice an overheat warning on the LCD display when it locked up?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Check for crank float

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    The jet pump is the "water pump" for the engine, its possible there is a bearing issue with the pump & that could cause it to lock up, most likely the impeller wedged against the pump from worn/bad bearings. I would check this out before using it again, it may not show up using the hose, but under load in the water it will. This could be why the pump was removed & stated that it needed to be replace, also the stainless steel liner the the impeller fits inside has been know to 'swell' which will cause contact to the impeller & could cause this problem. There probably is some corrosion in the cooling system, what I did with mine was get 1 gallon of vinegar, open the fitting you attach the garden hose too, start the engine & dump the gallon into it, rev engine once, turn off the engine & let sit overnight, next day flush with the garden hose & look at all the white corrosion that comes out with it. There is a small cooling manifold under the intake manifold that is known to clog, this can help clean it out, but if its clogged tight it will have to be replaced, did your son notice an overheat warning on the LCD display when it locked up?

I thought the the same thing about the pump bearings allowing the impeller go against the wear ring, or the wear ring swelling. I don't know if either could pull the motor down from full throttle to immediate shutdown. Only to be restarted an hour later without any obvious problems. I guess the next time it happens I could pull the pump at the ramp and see if it will restart normally.

No on the overheat.

Also I took the ski to the water again today and ran it at 6k-7k for 25min on the trailer. At about the 10min mark, it shut down and turned over slow, but started. Then ran it another 15 minutes and it didn't act up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Bulldogs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post

I thought the the same thing about the pump bearings allowing the impeller go against the wear ring, or the wear ring swelling. I don't know if either could pull the motor down from full throttle to immediate shutdown. Only to be restarted an hour later without any obvious problems. I guess the next time it happens I could pull the pump at the ramp and see if it will restart normally.

No on the overheat.

Also I took the ski to the water again today and ran it at 6k-7k for 25min on the trailer. At about the 10min mark, it shut down and turned over slow, but started. Then ran it another 15 minutes and it didn't act up.
    Can you turn engine by hand, if yes, check voltage drop of battery under load

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Check for crank float !!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post

thought this was already ticked off as done.

+1
    I haven't checked crank float. Are you referring to the forward and back play on the crankshaft?
    Last edited by 5Bulldogs; 04-20-2014 at 12:56 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Bulldogs View Post
    I haven't checked crank float. Are you referring to the forward and back play on the crankshaft?

There is a heap of threads on how to check end float

12/15f check out link

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186939

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information